Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished a bit this morning. Slow at first. Lines in as the sun was coming up, didn't get the first bite til 9am...

Ended up catching 4 between 9 and 11, and lost 2 as well. Fleas were easy to come by. Got em on the smoker now...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shouldn't say easy to come by... there were a bunch, most were small, what I call "jig tippers" almost too small to use on a set rig (I end up putting 2 on when they're small) a few golf balls mixed in... I got 6 or 7 that were perfect size, about the size of a nickel. They all got bit. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you smoke them for later eating? If so I would like some details. I smoke mullet, spanish and salmon but have only grilled pompano

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I usually smoke them so I can eat it the next day cold, just like you would mullet or anything else. Being as oily as they are it takes a good 5 hours to smoke, sometimes 6... these guys went on at 3pm and won't get taken off til 8:30 or so... let em cool to room temperature, put em in a ziplock, and in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

I don't do anything fancy, just pat them dry and on the smoker (I use my weber grill with some Cherry chunks)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Good mess of fish! I was west of you about 1/2 mile. Caught a pile of whiting but no pomps. A few of the whiting were studs, probably the biggest I've ever caught.

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had 4 groups within eye sight. Never saw anyone catch anything. I know they got tired of watching my fat butt run to a rod going off... they all left after the 3rd fish. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts