Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,757 Posts
Even if those fawns are 2 months old, that’s still February. I’d be willing to bet if she carried all 4 of those she delivered a tad early. Very well could have been impregnated in March. In my years of turkey hunting I’ve seen a couple bucks chasing during turkey season.
Those little fellers are probably only 3-4 weeks old and you're right, I watched a big buck with a full rack chasing in Bama last spring gobbler season. I don't know why the rut is so stretched out now, it seems like it was a lot more intense years ago.

· Registered
1,757 Posts
The rut had never been till after February around here as long as I've been alive. Sure you'll see a few chasing in January but it's just in pockets. I hardly ever see a swollen neck on a buck during season anymore.
When I hunted west of Selma from 81 'til the early 90s, it was like clockwork the last week of January and first week of February and the mature bucks looked like bulls. It was fast and furious and it seemed like all the fawns were born within a month of each other.
I've been hunting over near Clayton for the last several years and it's been on again, off again there with fawn births spread out all over. A few miles east in Georgia it's cranking in early October.

· Registered
1,757 Posts
She looks really good, I can't imagine her birthing all of them. Lot's of twins is a sign of a healthy herd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts