Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lil Rebel

Actually, Landfall has the area in which was the original Rusty's, I still have a place mat with the picture of the old place, going to have it framed one day. You forgot to talk about Leo afterlunch and his beer, I believe it was Slitz or something like that, and Danni's cole slaw she made each day with some cigerette ashes added as she mixed it up. Oh, yea there was thebrother-in-law that was outside cleaning the mullet, and all this for as much as you could eat for only $1.25. I moved here in 67, got introduced to Rusty's in 68, use to be a old salt down there named Lowe, he would fish only during the week, and sell his sow snapper (25-35 lbs) off his boat. Use to sit on my 69 cobia (bought itfromWills Marine during a boat show, first center console in Pcola)on weekends and watch the weekend warriors launch boat and vehicles, Leo would come around with the tractor and pull them out. Tractor was the first one I had seen with a cup holder on it. I think I still have some pictures of me holding cobia up at the dock. Some of the old fisherman was Ben Shaw, and Bill Caine.
Yep....Shaw and Bill were among the few (including me) who Cobia fished in those days. Bills boat was called "Little Rebel". Fished among those guys until they quit. Also Hillbilly Hal caught his share. Those were easy fishing days with untold numbers of Cobia. The only thing that could keep you from catching was the weather.

I remember running over one of Dinna's ducks while launching. Leo was there with a shovel before the guts settled. She loved her ducks.

Leo was an a great guy who always wore a crooked smile.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, I love reading these stories. As a resident of Landfall I almost feel guilty! Great to hear the history of the place. I hope you guys continue to contribute to this thread. Would love to see pictures!

·
Registered
14,615 Posts
I hand painted the big Rusty's billboards about 30 yrs ago. I think they were 10x40. Big red letters that just said Rusty's with an arrow. I asked the guy didn't he want something else on it like fresh seafood or the phone # and he and his wife just looked at each other and laughed. When I finished and came back to get paid he insisted I have a beer or 12.... I swear I think he wanted to get me drunk so that I would refigured the bill! Lol. Good folks!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
We are all old now.

Here it is 2016 and this thread started in 08.. I didn't realize this thread had been reincarnated last year. I can't believe how old I have gotten since I started the thread and it is mighty hard to believe how much enjoyment I've had with it.

We all have to leave sometime or other so I'm glad us old timers had a chance to share these memories.

Sometimes I think of all of the good old times I had up there and wish I could go back. Unfortunately, the P'cola I knew back then is no longer there. I often made a half day charter trolling for Kingfish in the pass. I doubt if you could make 300 circles in a morning there these days without getting run over or shot.

I'd definitely like to have a tub of Ms Danni's mullet and cole slaw, though. Three or four Millers (dang sure not Schlitz) to go with it.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Some of the best trigger fish I ever had was cooked at Rusty's. Several of us were diving with Joe Madden on the old Quest and speared fish that we brought back and had them deep fry. I also remember sitting on a screened porch and eating mullet from a galvanized tub. I think this would have been mid to late 70's.

·
Banned
491 Posts
I can remember all the days of running in there before daylight to launch, thinking we were late and having to slam on the brakes to miss those darn ducks. We used to destroy the specs under the bridge. Good times and a laid back pace. You guys brought back a lot of memories. Names like the Sling Queen and Linconocker......I haven't heard in years. I'm not sure if the food was that great or if we were always THAT hungry but it always seemed to be the best I ever tasted.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts