Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you're talking about Rusty's Fishcamp off of Gulf Beach Highway, everything over there has been mowed down and now has "Lost Key " Condos on it and where Rod & Reel used to be. That was really a great neck of the woods back in its day.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
rocklobster (3/25/2008)If you're talking about Rusty's Fishcamp off of Gulf Beach Highway, everything over there has been mowed down and now has "Lost Key " Condos on it and where Rod & Reel used to be. That was really a great neck of the woods back in its day.
sure was...ryan's came along later & it was good also...they're all gone now...the little store on the highway is still there...that's about it...

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember when Leo appologized to me for having to go from $25-$30/month for my in the water boat slip. That must've been about 1973 or so. I docked there from 1968-1975.

I had LORAN A but I used shoreline ranges more often than not and caught tons of Snapper. One summer, my parties caught 5 Blue Marlin, 27 Whites and 60+ Sailfish. I can't even guess how many Wahoo and Dolphin but never a Tuna.

Those were mighty good days. I think diesel was about 19cents a gallon at the time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Actually, Landfall has the area in which was the original Rusty's, I still have a place mat with the picture of the old place, going to have it framed one day. You forgot to talk about Leo afterlunch and his beer, I believe it was Slitz or something like that, and Danni's cole slaw she made each day with some cigerette ashes added as she mixed it up. Oh, yea there was thebrother-in-law that was outside cleaning the mullet, and all this for as much as you could eat for only $1.25. I moved here in 67, got introduced to Rusty's in 68, use to be a old salt down there named Lowe, he would fish only during the week, and sell his sow snapper (25-35 lbs) off his boat. Use to sit on my 69 cobia (bought itfromWills Marine during a boat show, first center console in Pcola)on weekends and watch the weekend warriors launch boat and vehicles, Leo would come around with the tractor and pull them out. Tractor was the first one I had seen with a cup holder on it. I think I still have some pictures of me holding cobia up at the dock. Some of the old fisherman was Ben Shaw, and Bill Caine.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved to Crystal River, FL in 1975 and have been here ever since. I miss the good fishing up there but it is mighty nice to catch 20# Grouper in 12' of water.

Do you remember this??? Just east of the pass about a mile or so, there were several submerged pilings in about 25' of water. I'd take a light tackle party there and bet them that they couldn't get a jig back if they cast it within 10' of the pilings. That place was AJ city! Most were 2# or so but there were sometimes some 30# fish there.

What about the little wreck that was just on the south edge of the Lex turning basin in about 25'? My dad caught a 38# Snapper there. He caught it on 200# test mono on a 9/0 one day when the water was pretty muddy. For every fish we landed there, we lost 10. It was never good for more than 3 bites unless you had some 2# Pogys. I caught a Flounder that weighed just under 11# there on a Cigar minnow ment for Snapper. On a 6/0, it didn't fight much.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Seegull...I was fishing from Leo's place in the late 60s. Bill Caine fished from an old wooden boat named "The Little Rebel". There were not too many boats that fished for Cobia in those days. I remember Lowe (Hubert?), Frank Helton, and the guy that was a member @ GLYC that died a few years back.(can't recall his name)

I think Leo and Danny were some of the nicest people anyone could hope to meet. Leo in the afternoon would allways have his hat turned with the bill 90 degrees out of place and a silly smile on his face. He did love his beer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bill and I worked together for 30 years, and I fished with him when he bought the boat for a long time. Another name was Ben Shaw, he had a Glastron boat with a ladder tied to it. Frank Helton had a 16 foot boat with a Crysler motor, on the boat by himself every day, we allwould work night shift for 30 days so we could fish every day during cobia season. Rusty's was a benchmark for the area, thencame Rod and Reel, and Southwind. Fredrick took out Rusty's, Danni is still cooking somewhere in the sky, greeting everyone as they come by, and Leo is wondering what happen to his beer. There was some good mullet served back then in the ole shinny metal bowls.:angel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow!! Sure is nice to know some folk`s remember my home away from home way back. I was one of the ramp boy`s in the summer`s of 64 and 65 and was raised two miles from there. I could tell stories about that place for day`s but would probably just bore most folk`s. Here`s a few names for ya, Pompano III, Capt. Hubert, Mindy Marie, Virgil (my Dad), Quest, Capt. Joe, Crawdad, Capt. Bob. I`m not sure if it was the Winston ashes or the sweat dripping off Miss Dannies nose that made that coleslaw so good but it was some fine stuff. I can still see uncle Joe or Mr.Charlie D. sitting on that little stool at the water faucet outside washing mullet. At that time it was all you could eat for $1.00. Mr. Charlie D. always had that pistol in his back pocket. There was Lewella, Flip, Miss Kaye, and uncle Joe`s wife helping out. Remember any of um? PEL

·
Registered
338 Posts
Right on Pelican, yesterday Gotcha and I were living those old days of launching, fishing, and the people down there. When I first went here in Pensacola, it was a $1.00 for all you could eat, they blamed me for making the price go up. It was actually the Navy yard people coming over for lunch that did it. I still think it was the Winston ashes that flavored the slaw. All those ole salts were true gentleman of the seas, they were the ones we listened to about how and when to fish. Spent a lot of money on beer there, and a lot of time sitting on the dock watching the weekend warriors launch. I have since moved over here and those guys are still crusing the waters in the big sky abovetalking and having a great time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes sir, Capt. Hubert maved to Australia and opened a boatbuilding business. He stayed there several years then moved back to the states and settled in Steinhatchee. Built himself one more boat, I think 60`, from "C flex" and named her "Tropical Lowe". I last saw him in 2001, about a year before my Dad passed.

Correct, the "Mindy Marie" was a 1970 Proline, custom transom from the factory, then Dad and Capt. Hubert built the cabin and put a Chrysler slant six in her. They did all this while I was in Vietnam, can you imagine how pleased I was upon return!!

You have a great memory, sir. You`ve sure stired mine up too. Do you remember the fellow that had the nickname "grouper Bait"? Hefished with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wills alot. PEL

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doggonit. I deletedmy last post while editing it. I'll have to try to remember it.

I had a 25' Alglas Wahoo 25, single IBwhen I first docked there then a super slow 31' 5/4" cypress hull with a Ford diesel. . Later I had a 23' Negus that I really loved but hated the I/O. Still later, I had a Wellcraft V-20 that Leo kept under the first covered slot. I always had a small boat to fish the bay. I wish I could find another like it. (14' Kennedy Craft.)

My favorite fishing around P'cola was casting plastic grubs under docks and around pilings for Flounder and small Grouper. I ate a lot of 12-14" Grouper back then.

Part of the time, I was teaching in FWB.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By-the-way, I have Ms. Danni's Coles Slaw Recipe if anybody is interested. It is still on the scrap of paper that she wrote it on. There is no mention of sweat or ashes, though. She used 3-4 heads of cabbage at a time and mixed it in a huge stainless steel bowl or pot. She cautioned against aluminum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also recall she used those large mouthed one gallon jars of Blueplate Mayo. She said you had to ues a heavy mayo. Cabbage, onions and mayo is all it was but she had the magic for mixing it. Remember the bottle cap driveway all the way around the building? How bout those looong oars up in the rafters. PEL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can`t recall a regular piano player but several of the family and regulars played. Leo and his brother in law Uncle Leo could both do a rip roaring polka on the constatina also. Miss Danni`s brother, uncle Joe, could sing like a mockingbird too. I think his wife Miss Dottie played piano some. Man, what a special place that was. I guess the driveway got paved before you arrived. Do you remember the year you started?I`ll bet you remember the little building between the boat sheds and the water. That was my place of residence for the summer of `64. I worked six day`s a week, daylight till 9:00pm for $20 a week plus room and board..........I was 15 years old and thought I`d died and gone to heaven. Learned many of my "life`s lesson`s" around that launching ramp. Remember how everytime a blow would come through we`d all band together and rebuild the pier? Never took more than two days and always looked just like we did it. Who say`s a pier has to be straight and level? PEL

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Enjoying reading these stories. I can almost picture a bunch of old salts, smoking cigs, sippin' on beer, gathered around the piano...living the life.

Where abouts are ya'll talking about the location of where this place was?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you go to Gulfbeach Grocery, turn south toward the water you will come to a stop sign. While sitting at the stop sign the ramp was at the end of the road you are sitting on. It`s Landfall now. Yes, sir, those dude`s did it with land ranges, a stop watch, tach and counted the gulleys to find their "special" spots. Once they found the first one in sight of land they could find the rest of um and never see the beach again. Capt. Hubert was the best I`ve been around doing this. Once Loran C came along much of the magic was tarnished. Like Capt. Ken said, loran A came along first but wasn`t nearly as accurate as the C. My Dad operated better the old fashioned way than with his loran A. PEL

1 - 20 of 87 Posts