Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p style="font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-style: italic;">Stop the presses~! The Russians have come up with a pretty snazzy way to deal with that oil spill: nuke it all! Why waste time freaking out when you can unleash the power of mass-to-energy conversion, and let Mr. Atom clean up the mess in no time at all?</p><p style="font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-style: italic;">The silly thing is, while I?m half-joking, the Russians are legitimately serious about the proposal. Turns out they used to do such a thing?nuke oil spills?back in the days of the Soviet Union.</p><p style="font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-style: italic;">Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the country?s best-selling daily newspaper (sorta like their USA Today, I guess), suggests that we nuclear bomb the area near the leak, with ?the underground explosion mov[ing] the rock, press[ing] on it, and, in essence, squeez[ing] the well?s channel.?</p><p style="font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-style: italic;">They?ve done such a thing five times in the past, and it turns out that it has an 80 percent success rate.</p>

We can implode a building precisely but we havent thought of doing something like this? I think its worth letting the experts look into it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
There are political, environmental, and technical cosiderations. For starters, the 5,500 depth will crush the nuclear device. I don't believe anyone has a nuclear weapon designed as a bathysphere. Don't know what the technical barriers are concerning the placementof a nuclear device in aROV.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Unlike the gubmint owned oil industry of ol' Russia, I hope our system would never consider irradiating a large area of our seas for a little well head... We have the ability to drill the relief wells and then cap this wellhead off... I just want to see the clean up, in the interim, handled expediently and effectively.
Brent

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Russia had the technology to do this but the U.S. does not ? Somehow I doubt that. There are environmental concerns from the nuclear materials, but in the ocean that would be so minute I doubt it would matter. Im not saying go for it. I just think if Russia can do. It is a way we should look in to it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Big B (09/05/2010)So Russia had the technology to do this but the U.S. does not ? Somehow I doubt that. There are environmental concerns from the nuclear materials, but in the ocean that would be so minute I doubt it would matter. Im not saying go for it. I just think if Russia can do. It is a way we should look in to it.
You may rest assured that the Russians were not doing it in 5,000 feet of water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts