Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girlfriend is a couple thousand miles away so seizing the weather window today was a no brainer! I left out of the pass early this morning to find some birds that would hopefully lead me to a school of bonita for some light tackle action. I cruising all the way to pensacola beach without seeing anything, plenty of birds but they were content with just lounging around, so I decided torun out to the russian freighterand see what was going on out there. As you could probably guess it was nonstopred snapper action, with several in the 10-15 pound range. There were 5 or 6 small gags to 18 inches sprinkled in there too, plus one legal sized guy who would have been great to see a few weeks ago. Amazingly there were actually some keepable fish and I managed to bring in 2 nice Lane Snapper around 14" and a Porgyof some sort of about the same size that alsoended up in the fish box. I caught another mystery fish, maybe a (pigfish?) that was a little too small for the frying pan but too big for bait that was let go to fight another day. I couldn't get the AJ's to bite even though divers and my fish finder marked them all over, but all in all a great day out on the water!

Does anyone know where the bonita like to be around this time of year?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i don;t know to call you lucky because you went fishing or because your girlfriend was 1000 miles away.. hahaha just kidding. nice report.

·
Registered
663 Posts
we went out today we have a spot not 2 far from the freighter we must have got 70 red snapper i gag one red grouper and some small aj s we ended up with 3 lane snapper 14 to 15 inches long but in all it was a good day hell i was happy to b on the water. jeff

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
. I caught another mystery fish, maybe a (pigfish?) that was a little too small for the frying pan but too big for bait that was let go to fight another day.

Does anyone know where the bonita like to be around this time of year?[/quote]

There is no such thing as to big for bait.J/k glad you got out today it sure was nice and the bonita are offshore around the edge and farther to the west.

TIM

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
prostreet78 (2/14/2010)we went out today we have a spot not 2 far from the freighter we must have got 70 red snapper i gag one red grouper and some small aj s we ended up with 3 lane snapper 14 to 15 inches long but in all it was a good day hell i was happy to b on the water. jeff
To the OP, Great report and a great way to stay out of trouble with the girlfriend so far away on this Valentines day! :bowdown

Jeff,

I'm glad you finally got out and excercised those sea legs brother....As for me, I'm having to attend to business for a few more weeks then it will be back on the waterfor me...I hope!

Jimmy

·
Registered
663 Posts
well jimmy get all your stuff done the season is close so let me know i am ready. i was glad to get out we had a good time to many red snapper out there tim i see you had a good day also you always do good. later jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
recess (2/14/2010). I caught another mystery fish, maybe a (pigfish?) that was a little too small for the frying pan but too big for bait that was let go to fight another day.

Does anyone know where the bonita like to be around this time of year?
There is no such thing as to big for bait.J/k glad you got out today it sure was nice and the bonita are offshore around the edge and farther to the west.

TIM[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, is there any set of conidtions to look for that will push them in closer to shore?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts