Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there run Netflix on your TV. If so what is the cheapest and also the best way to do this. I have read about Roku Digital but not realy sure what to do.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The cheapest way would be to hook your PC video card directly to your TV if both devices are capable. Another option if you have the items is if you are running windows and have an xbox and both are connected to your home network you can use the xbox as a video extender for the PC. There are a ton of other option but "cheap" rarely describes them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Sony Blue ray player with a Network interface and play Netflix through it. I've heard good things about the Roku player as well.

If you have a XBox360 or PS3 attached to the TV you can watch Netflix through them, a plugin for the Wii is being developed also and should be released soon.

Also there is Playon.tv http://www.playon.tv/that will stream several services Netflix, Hulu, etc.through a game console to your TV. Playon requires a networked PC and a game console to work. I started using it a few weeks back and it has performed real well.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Your TV may have the correct connection on the back or side that will allow use your TV as a monitor. The all you have to do is plug it up. What I don't know is how good the picture will be. I been considering the same thing.

good useful thread.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just installed a Panasonic Blu Ray that was WiFi equipped. My PC is wireless and allows me to stream videos from various sources. Panasonic has videos for rent from both Netflix and Amazon. Video quality is great and sure beats what's on TV most of the time.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Need some more info about your equipment to really give you a good answer. I have a new Samsung LED that has the capability of streaming netflix straight through the TV but I don't have internet service at my house. So I use an ATT wireless connection and hook my laptop up to the TV like a big monitor. The picture quality is great. I use it alot. I have been as long as three days with wathcing notihing but netflix.

Does your TV have a port for your computer? If not, depending on your TV and computer you could use an S-video cable but this is usually older modles. You also have to hook up your audio seperately but that is easy.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Craig W (3/12/2010)Need some more info about your equipment to really give you a good answer. I have a new Samsung LED that has the capability of streaming netflix straight through the TV but I don't have internet service at my house. So I use an ATT wireless connection and hook my laptop up to the TV like a big monitor. The picture quality is great. I use it alot. I have been as long as three days with wathcing notihing but netflix.

Does your TV have a port for your computer? If not, depending on your TV and computer you could use an S-video cable but this is usually older modles. You also have to hook up your audio seperately but that is easy.

PS3 with Netflix Player Disc ( free from netflix )

Connected via HDMI cable.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
asago (3/12/2010)I have a Roku and I love it. Since I'm not a big gamer - I don't care about PS3, Xbox, etc... and the Roku cost me $99. It even has wireless so no need to run a network cable to it... and HDMI support.

Roku is cheap. But PS3=bang for buck... games, blu ray, ps3, cd, dvd, playstation network rentals, all in one. I get tired of adding boxes to my entertainment system and now I only have one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have Xbox Live and run it from that, via HDMI cable. If you don't a game console, you can connect from a laptop via S-video or USB/HDMI. I think Netflix has three packages- I find the one that allows unlimited live stream play and 1 dvd out at a time, the most efficient.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Wow... Thats funny, I have a roku and PS3. I bought the Roku prior to knowing the PS3 would stream. I plan on putting the Roku up for sale here probably this weekend sometime.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Corpsman (3/12/2010)Wow... Thats funny, I have a roku and PS3. I bought the Roku prior to knowing the PS3 would stream. I plan on putting the Roku up for sale here probably this weekend sometime.

well the roku came out before the ps3 streaming disc did

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've got a PS3 that I use mainly for blu rays and just discovered that I could do this with netflix for no extra charge in my plan(I have the 2 blu ray/dvd at a time plan) So now I still get the latest blu ray or dvds in the mail AND have the ability to watch these unlimited instant movies too. Pretty cool and the picture quality is good. The audio isn't 5.1 DD yet, but is supposed to be later this year.

I just wish more of the new releases were in the instant listings.

This is the future of movie rentals.......eventually, discs are gonna go bye bye IMO:letsparty

·
Registered
66 Posts
Roku

Wow... Thats funny, I have a roku and PS3. I bought the Roku prior to knowing the PS3 would stream. I plan on putting the Roku up for sale here probably this weekend sometime.
I would be intrested in the Roku.
You can reach me at 850-261-0202
I would love to be able to watch movies all week-end
Thanks
J

P.s. If anybody knows how to get in touch with Corpsman please let him know about this post.

Oppps! dind't notice the date...
Probably already sold.
Anybody know where I might find one ?
Thanks again

J

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I bought the ROKU about 6 months ago thru the netflix website and got $10 off so I bought the digital version for $69 _ about $10 shipping. It has been great. The only complaint I have is when you fast forward thru a movie, it isn't smooth like my DVR. But it's a good deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Roku

I bought the ROKU about 6 months ago thru the netflix website and got $10 off so I bought the digital version for $69 _ about $10 shipping. It has been great. The only complaint I have is when you fast forward thru a movie, it isn't smooth like my DVR. But it's a good deal.
Thanks for the info Buckyt, I'll check it out.

J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts