Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted up in the Need a section and Ryan (Lingfisher1)and Ed (submariner) stepped up.

I am knew at this stuff, fishing and planning, but I was at a loss Sat. I was expecting 3ftrs from the W laying down to 2ftr's in the afternoon out of the WSW. Wind looked like it was going to peak at noonish then start slackin off.

On the way out we trolled for Kings, ran at speed, and stopped to do a little bottom bumping to break up the ride out. We were expecting rough in the am.

Troll for Kings resulted in just one 26"King on the pink Stretch at 6.5mph. He hit it from behind and swallowed it. The drag went off a little then stopped and would go off alittle and.... I reeled it in and could only see the lure and fish 5ft from the boat 2ft deep. Water was dark green and we couldn't see much deeper than 3ft. Like that all the way to the 131 then NW.

Bottom bumping: My rookie butt couldn't keep the boat over a spot with less than .5mph all day. All I saw was us drifting sideways in a 25kt wind and 3ftrs!!! :doh

About 3pm got a call from Recess that the were slightly N and working for it also. About 4:30 pm we notice the windpicking up and shifting to the N. We started talking about the conditions when Recess called and said that the conditions were going to make them head N. Confirmation, we reeled up and started our run (A$$ whoopin) home.

Fishbox was absolutly pathetic but the crew was absolutly awesome!!!! No 1st Wahoo but 1st grilled lunch!!! I was very fustrated but happy to be out there with the oil thing going on!!!!

Big bouys marking the Oriskany. H2O Below and Wet dream.

New motivation to troll this year!!!!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What matters at the end of the day is not what's in the box, but whether you had fun or not, there are more zero days than hero days in this sport sometimes. So how did the grilled fish taste?

MSyellowfin

·
Premium Member
11,191 Posts
I feel your pain Rundover. It was hard on me saturday to. I was thinking like you on the forecast but I guess we were both wrong. I tried to anchor over a tank in that mess since there was only me and one other person on the boat. I tried and finally got so pissed off that I didn't care if we caught anything or not. Decided to motor drift like you and got even madder. After I pitched a fit and cussed for a little while I setteled down and we started catching a few fish. We managed nine legal triggers with only one person fishing. Didnt post report because I didn't have a camera at the time. Guess I'm trying to say, Don't feel bad. They got me to. Wish they made a punching bag that looked like a weather man.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Scot Good to see that you and your crew got to wet a line saturday. The picture of Ryan cooking looks like you were into some good looking blue water (maybe around the 131?). We found some blue water ourseves on our way past the 131. the water only got better the father southwe (Tim,Donald,Brad,Rob and myself)went. But you know me, sometimes I just get that feeling that the weatherman is telling a lie. After our day's catch, we headed back north to see what the weather was really going to do. Our plans was to run to the beach before that blast of north wind that had started to blow.That's when I called you to let you know we were running home.We had to delay our run north trying to get a line out from around the starboard prop. Cooking,fishing, and joking around as Cliff would say," it don't get any better then that". Gene

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Scott,the grill looked mighty tasty and water pics awesome!

Weathermen sometimes suck!!!.....but as Recess always say "you never know unless you go" so you guys definitely took a wave or 2for the team and I appreciate thereport....however, I don't feel so bad now for not going...lol

Keep the post comingas I enjoy your descriptions no matter howthe fish box looks....

Glad you and crfew returned safe!!!!!

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
HEY SCOTT, AT LEAST YOU GOT OUT ON THE WATER AND GOT TO PULL ON SOMETHING. I HAD A FISH FRY TO COOK FOR WHILE I WAS WISH-N THAT I WAS FISH-N.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Scott, sent ya' a pm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts