Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-doing my aluminum boat's carpet. I had to take off the rubrail, because the carpet is run underneath it.

The rubber gasket material is hard and dry rotted. I might be able to heat it by laying it on blacktop in the middle of the day, and get it flexible enough to go back on, but I doubt it.

I could also soak it in gasoline just long enough to soften it some. Again, I doubt it would get soft enough to work.

Anybody know where I could buy some replacement gasket material? I only need the rubber gasket. I don't want to replace the whole thing, just the gasket material.

I looked all over the net and can't find any. Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks. I included some pics to help clarify what I am looking for. I would have directly uploaded them, but I kept getting an error code. New forum still having issues I guess.
</p>

</p>

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Rub Rails only come in two parts. the housing that mounts to the boat and the insert, weather it be rope, rubber, or metal. Crag Williams at Custom Craft Fiberglass usually does that sort of thing and he use to get his stuff from Byfield Marine but they have since closed up shop. You might want to give him a call and see what he says. 850-572-9430.

West Marine might have the rubrail insert, but good luck. If you are going to search around the net, look for rubrail insert. Thats the name for it. Most marine wholesalers will have it, but most also require a business license to purchase from them. So something like the internet or west marine will be your key.

You will need to know the proper measurements on it to order it over the net. Most reputable companies will tell you how to measure what you have to get the proper fit replacement.

Let me know if I can help you any more than that.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
west marine has this type of rail insert available:

It is not the same shape as the old stuff, but might work. I would rather have the original stuff.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Copy and paste my first link... it lists several insert forms....

It needs to be the right one or will likely not work well at all...
here is the image...

Hope this helps.
Brent

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#2 and #4 look similar.

Probably # 4 is closest.

They don't offer those online, only the #6 variety. Reckon I should just call them?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called west marine. No luck.

They told me the number for Taco products, to call tomorrow and see if they have it as an option. 1800 653 8568

Other option would be to get some rope and put it into the existing aluminum channel and use some 5200 to "glue" it in place.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts