Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have read that rough seas arehard on a motor, is this correct ? When the seas are high, is there a better driving style to save the motor ? (other than staying home)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know that you burn more fuel in rough seas due to the loading and unloading of the motor rpms. I would think that it is not detrimental but smooth water is a lot easier on them. Maybe it's just me due to age, I'm not fond of the rough stuff, but do catch a lot more fish when it's rough than calm. Just my views!:letsdrink

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'v broke a motor mont on a Suzuki before in rough seas. Gary at Lou's says he has not seen that before. Of course I can break a steel ball bearing or I have been told that by my wife.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'd think calm water would be harder on a motor because seems everyone including myself, like to go fast in calmer conditions

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not trying to be cute, but I don't think the motor knows a rough sea from a calm. The prop has enough slipage that the engine is not going to be over torqued. The occasional wave breaking over the motor might be a concern.

I think it's all in how you drive it and how hard you push it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well, also note that in a rough sea, and your pushing pretty hard, you can see the motor shaking quite a bit more. I dont think the internals of the motor care, but I'm sure it could put more stress on the transom of the boat and motor mounts. But I'm sure they designed the mounts to handle plenty of excess force...rotten transoms are another thing!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Dont know if there is a high-rev limiter switch for this or not.

There are on "SOME" motors. My DF-140 Suzzy's hit a 3000RPM rev limiter when you move the throttles to neutral and rev them up. IE warm up mode which is not nesissary with these motors.

Then they will hit a 6500RPM rev limiter when in gear. I have never hit that rev limiter. The most I've turned these motors is 6400RPM. This is when I was raising motors and changing props.

The operating RPM for "These" motors is 6200 Max.

·
Registered
213 Posts
instead of posting this couldnt you have really thought about it? not trying to be an ass but, is it hard on a trucks motor when you take it off-road and threw the mud for a period of time? of course........ the motor is gonna take a bit more stress doing things like that, rather than cruise on flat or low level water.... kindda like a truck being on a paved road..:doh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts