Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
This is my first post here. Just started looking around today and see a lot of great info. I'm from Duncan, OK and my wife and two daughters want to come to Destin over spring break to hang out on the beech. I don't think I could handle more than half a day of that without needing to get out and do something, so I bought a yak the other day and am about to start getting it ready for the trip. I know nothing about fishing the ocean, but really want to get out in the gulf and do some fishing. Hoping to be able to hook up with some folks that know what they are doing so I can learn, catch some fish and maybe small sharks and stay safe as well.

I got a sit in style kayak. It's an Old Town Predator K140 (14'). Probably not the best for ocean, but I will put some orange flags on it. It will fit my lifestyle here at home pretty well for fishing and hunting. I noticed most everyone ocean fishing from kayaks have the sit-on-top style. Why is that...because they don't hold water?
Thanks all,
Gary

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You can flip a sit-on-top kayak and it will just flip back over. As long as all your gear is strapped down properly, you're not in too bad of shape. A sit-in kayak will fill with water when it flips and will take some know-how and a buddy to help you get the water out of it. Not easy in big surf and can be dangerous to use in the gulf.

·
Registered
947 Posts
why not try a kayak fishing guide? They will provide what you need and get you on the fish without wasting time. Look for Pensacola Kayak Charters. I think the guys will take you out of Destin. If not, you could rent - try Sunjammers in Panama City Beach or Liquid Surf and Sail in Fort Walton Beach. Not sure if they rent, but worth a try. You do realize once you see the beach in Destin it will be tough to go back to Oklahoma? j/k. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far guys. You are right, I may never come back home! Can't wait to get down there. I really can't afford to rent a kayak and a guide after buying this one. Thought I would be better off to buy my own and find some suckers willing to let me go out with them. :whistling: :D This way I'll have a good kayak to use here at home. If it's too dangerous to take it out on the gulf, then I will be content fishing the bay. If the seas are calm and I'm with a couple of people it should be safe...shouldn't it? Really would like to try to catch one shark, mainly to show my buddies at work because they all think I'm stupid for wanting to fish in the ocean in a kayak. :blink: Smaller sharks are supposed to be good to eat right?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Be careful with the sharks. LOTS of species are prohibited from harvest and for an amateur, even seasoned fisherman, can be hard to properly ID. Pretty much all but a few have to be 54 inches to the fork. A little large for a newbie in a SINK -Sit IN Kayak - but the acronym holds truth in big water.

By then I will be fully liscenced and insured. I offer brand new Hobie Outbacks with outriggers making them nearly impossible to flip. They also have turbo fins and many other accessories to make your fishing trip the best it can be. I specialize in offshore so if you want to hit the Gulf and catch monster snapper and other fish such as mackerel, sharks, grouper, triggerfish shoot me a PM. Its not as expensive as youd think. Im in Navarre and the non public spots off of Navarre hold the best quality fish. However we can fish the public stuff in Destin or Okaloosa Island.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"SINK -Sit IN Kayak - but the acronym holds truth in big water."

LOL, OK, I'll look into a sit on top style.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're going to Oklahoma City this weekend. I'm gonna see if the Academy there has any of those left.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think the Old Town Caspian is from the old Ocean Kayak Scrambler mold. The Scrambler is a good kayak, and very good at that price. Weight capacity is 350lbs. The tankwell won't fit a milk crate, but I believe it fits an Igloo Playmate cooler just fine. Add soem rod holders and you are good to go. It would work in the surf, inshore and be great for the lakes and rivers. Academy has the Carlisle Magic paddles - decent paddle for the price. Stay away from anything Pelican...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Also keep in mind that the weather in March can be a b*tch or it can be fantastic but the water will be pretty cool still. If you decide to not go with a local guide, you should post another request for fishing partner as soon as you get down here and I am sure you will have a couple opportunities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts