Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
youve only done it once! ive done it probably 5-6 times, in the surf of course. never lost anything too important, maybe a pair of pliers here or there.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
youve only done it once! ive done it probably 5-6 times, in the surf of course. never lost anything too important, maybe a pair of pliers here or there.
This^^^^lol its always makes you feel great when you launched in the morning and come back in the afternoon with a beach full of people and roll in the surf they seem to find it humorous

·
Registered
537 Posts
At least you only took a bath. First time I rolled I lost $300 worth of fishin shit and to top it off earlier that morning I left my phone in my pocket and casted in the surf couple times from the beach. It was a $500 day for me.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I've dodged this so far in a year of kayaking but I almost did it last week. I didn't quite beat the breakers to the sand and one got me a little sideways. I felt her starting to tip and leaned into it and started digging hard with my paddle. Luckily I saved it but I'm sure it's coming soon. Glad you got all your stuff back and were safe though.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
I rolled my first yak 10 yrs or so ago. It was in the gulf, in march, in a chum-line, in rough seas...in a sit-inside! It was traumatic, to say the least lol. That experience has kept me extra attentive ever since and I've yet to do it again (knockin on my wood lol). Hey, at least you didn't lose anything. I lost surprisingly little, considering my whole boat was submerged and capsized, only a small tackle box and a hand gaff. I didn't even own a life vest lol. Good times, good times.

·
2015 PA 14
43 Posts
Been fishing for awhile now, but new to kayak fishing. Picking up a PA 14 2013 this weekend. This is my biggest fear that has drove me to make enough rod/gear leashes to tie up everything I will be stuffing on the yak. My buddy Is going to intoduce me to BTB our first outing, hope all goes well....keep you informed..:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
...Learned its easier to right the kayak from the rear...
I'm still somewhat of a newbie, could you explain a little bit more?
My only rollover so far was due to a huge boat wake at close range in shallow water. I just stood up and rolled it back over.

·
Registered
171 Posts
(Right the kayak) Probably talking about flipping the kayak back over. I would suggest to go out in the sound in 7+ foot of water and purposely lean over and roll your kayak (with a life vest on) and then practice trying to get back in it (with a life vest on.) Then if/when it does happen, and your feet can't touch, you will know what to do.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
*knocks on wood* I have yet to roll. I do take my time to read the surf when launching and coming in. There places and times that you can casually come in no problems but just a few yards in either direction and at the same time would absolutely roll you.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Rolled in the pcola pass swining a fish over to get a photo on my buddies go-pro. Learned its easier to right the kayak from the rear. Only lost my pliers and some bait.
At least your friend was nice enough to take a picture of you after you fell in :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
*knocks on wood* I have yet to roll. I do take my time to read the surf when launching and coming in. There places and times that you can casually come in no problems but just a few yards in either direction and at the same time would absolutely roll you.
This ^^^^ jd hit the nail on the head yall take your time and pay attention to the surf I do have kayak experience but also I work on the spill and I'm in waders walkin the squash zone (where the waves are crashing on the shore) 5 days a week so I've spent many hours watchin and reading the surf and you can be standing at one spot and the waves could be 5ft rollers breakin all the way from the sandbar and then u can go 20 ft down and have 1ft rollers not breaking at all until they hit the shoreline.. its a lot better just draggin the yak a little further than to get rolled lose gear and get beat up by a 60-90 lb yak

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Now that the water is warming back up, you might as well take the bare kayak, wear a life jacket and go play in the surf and learn how to control the kayak in the waves. You will learn a lot and build confidence.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'll never forget the first time I flipped my yak.... it involved a big ol cuda and loosing everything.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Also, when swimming the yak in, stay behind the boat. A yak to the hip hurts, a yak to the head could be a lot worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts