Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we were talking about rogue waves in my oceanography class today and i realized they arent as rare as i thought...have any of yall seen/been hit by one?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Not really a Rogue wave but we were fishing near the 131 one day two summers ago and it was slick calm. It picked up to about 3ft for an hour and a half, but was never windy, just a swell, then it quit. kinda weird

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have was fishing a Kingfish tournament in 5 to 6 ft seas in a 21 ft Bayliner my buddy was putting down a down rigger when all of a sudden this 20 ft wave came from out of nowhere Lucky for us we were heading into it and not broadside boat stood straight up then drooped off the back side my buddy was laying in the floor but he said he never fell the floor came to him</DIV>

·
Registered
174 Posts
As teenagers, myself, John Holley and my brother Mike were hit by a rogue wave about 30 miles offshore. Dumped about 1000 gallons of water in the boat. We concluded that it was the wake from the USS Lexington. Who knows...... Pretty scary feeling at night.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
and knowing how you and mike have been known to fish, it was probably in a 14ft whaler!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I lived in Alaska as a kid, and my dad's boss was killed by one. They were out in a Zodiak glassing some mountains for goats, same scenario...seas were slick. His son turned around and saw it coming, had enough time to say, "Here comes a big one dad." It hit them, flipped to boat and that was that. Son and one other hunter pushed the Zodiak to shore and survived. He watched his dad go under and never come up. They had to swim several hundred yards to shore where they took shelter under their boat. Tide washed his dad's body up, but they were so cold they couldn't do anything about it, then tide took it out again. They were rescued, and the body eventually recovered. I'll never forget that story for as long as I live.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Hit one or should I say one hit me at the mouth of the Mississippi River (Southwest Pass). I barely had enough time to head into it. My fishing partner was below in the cabin, it threw him around. The bow bunk was set up and it threw him back wards onto and breaking the cross member to the bunk. I thought we were going to flip. Must of been (1) 5'er or more in a normally calm area. About scared the sheet out of us.

·
Registered
244 Posts
We were recovering an ROV to the deck of our ship in the Gulf when we were hit by a rogue wave a few years ago. Other ships in the area had sent warnings that it was coming. The captain had enough time to turn the bow in its direction.When it hit the umbilical snapped and the ROV floated away. We were able to recover later that day. No one was hurt but it was a wild ride.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
we were at the edge one day last year in 1-2 ft seas when we were hit by a random 10 footer. we called it a rogue wave but after seeing some of those video clips i don't think it was rogue

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This was from Dec 5th on the west coast at Morro Bay, CA. A little more than they bargained for!! But a hella of a boat and crew!!

BillD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts