Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-weight: bold;">http://www.roffs.com/DeepwaterHorizon/ROFFSOil28May10.pdf<br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">"Of note are several areas between 87°00?W and 87°45?W that were observed in this afternoon?s SAR imagery but have not yet been verified from on-site reports to contain oil. It remains to be seen what the abnormalities in these areas that were visible in the SAR imagery mean and if in fact this is surface oil near the coast. Note that the surface flow of the water from 87°30?W and east/southeastward continues to be directed from the surface oil eastward toward the Florida Panhandle (near 85°30?W & 30°00?N) where the flow becomes more southeastward."

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Pensacola LAT-LONG:<span style="font-weight: bold;"> [NPA] 30.35 87.32 Pensacola,FL<span style="font-family: monospace; font-weight: bold;"> <span style="font-weight: bold;">[PNS] 30.47 87.20 Pensacola,FL

<span style="font-weight: bold;">With it being Memorial Day weekend I wonder if anyone has warned Escambia and Santa Rosa counties about testing the water content in and around the passes, so if it is there it won't come in on top or underwater and damage the estuaries.<br style="font-weight: bold;">

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is the Roff's graphic fromyesterdaySaturday the 29th. (Also look at the previous one for Friday the 28th showing question marks off Orange Beach and Pensacola))

<a href="http://roffs.com/deepwaterhorizon.html"><a href="http://roffs.com/deepwaterhorizon.html">http://roffs.com/deepwaterhorizon.html</a></a>

(According to Roff's this will betheir last report until next Tuesday the 2nd,due to the long holiday weekend.)

Roff's says the Loop Current has closed off, basically becoming a big eddy and has become elipical, more the shape of a football standing on end.

Due to this big Loop eddy, the currentsof the Gulf, which have been in our favor for many weeks pushing the oil far to the south and eastof us, are now becomingmore southwest to northeast.

Based onRoff's interpretation of the SARS Satellite images for the past few days, it's showing surface oil off Pensacola.

Was anyone offshore yesterday that can give an actual eyeball report to confirm or denythis latest Roff's report ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
We ran out of Orange Beach to the nipple and areas south and east. Saw no sign of oil on the surface, nor did we smell any oil. We kept one lure down about 30 feet and there were no signs of oil on the lures when we reeled them in. We saw lots of very pretty blue water, tons of scattered grass (a real nuisance), at least one smallish weedline (being worked by about 30 boats) and a fair number of flying fish. We got skunked regardless, though I saw at least one nice wahoo being cleaned back at the dock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We were at the edge on Sat. with no surface oil or smell of oil. On Sun. morning (in Perdido) could smell oil fumes on the beach and in the bay.

I saw the Roffs chart showing oil at the Pensacola Pass also, but we did not see any going or coming and stopped about 10 miles south on the way in to screw around and didn't see any there either.

I hope this doesn't make landfall, but it isn't looking good.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just got a call from a friend who went spearfishing today. Good news was tons of big snapper - never seen so many big ones in one place. Bad news was that they ran into oil 13 miles from the Pensacola pass. I did not get details on direction from the pass or the type of oil (sheen or brown stuff).

I'll see him later tonight and get the story.

- Fisherdad1

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Fished out of OB this morning. No oil up to 10 miles south of OB, but when we went east, to about the AL/FL line, there was oil. A fair amount of brown globs with some mats roughly 30-50 sf, just10 miles out. Not pretty. It's here for sure.

And yes, there were some big snapper out there.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Yeah, we hit the shiznits about 13 miles off Pensacola. Nasty stuff, ate the wax and gelcoat pretty bad.

Did catch a bunch of snapper though. Think positive.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My question is.... the oil is only floating on the top of the water? while you were fishing was the oil mixed in the water depths?

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
We didn't fish it it, ran through it between spots.Saw one mass about the size of a small swimming pool that was well defined.Most of the oil was in little blotches on the surface, that's what hit the hull.

Will try to get pics of the hull, not my boat but it's close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts