Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a rod for walking along the beach. 8' to 10' mediium to light action is what I'm thinking. Tips, suggestions anything will help and where to get them. Budget is maxed out at roughly $50 to $65.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Penn Prevail 8' or 9' foot surf rods have worked great for me. Walmart carries them for about $75. You might be able to catch one in your price range when Dicks or Academy have a sale.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you want a decent rod for surf fishing and a low price I would go with the meat hunter fishing rod. A two piece 10 foot rod is $39.00 and a 12 foot one is $49. I prefer the 12 foot rod because it's rated for 2-8oz. I fish 4oz weights not matter the condition because I can sling it a mile. I own 1 of the 12 foot rods it's not my favorite compared to my Penn Prevails and off shore Gold Cup rods because it's not stout feeling. It's kinda whippy and sling shot feeling when I cast it. However, it has the most play when catching pompano which makes it more fun to fish than the others. You must use electrical tape to marry the two pieces together or the top piece will fly out when you cast it. Do not fish this rod unless you tape it together. I think it's a steal for the price, it's also a fiberglass rod and that's why it's less expensive. More expensive rods are graphite and they more durable.

Here's the link to buy one:

http://rfsportsinc.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=4&Category_ID=1

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Are you wanting a set up mostly for throwing lures?

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the advice and input. I did do quite a bit of research on the information that my fellow fishermen provided. Being that my birthday is next month I am in contract negotiations with my insignificant other for a 9' Penn Prevail and the Penn 400.
She has informed me that I am not worth as much as I think I am and certainly not worth a new rod and reel.
I think I will win this round though, fishing get me out of the apartment and she has peace and quiet. My argument has been "your not doing it for me, your doing it for yourself."
Tight lines everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts