Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam going to attempt to start repairing my on rods.Does anybody know what size tips and guides I will need for penn senator rods 30- 60lb?I'm having a lot trouble with ceramic inserts breaking on tips.What name brand should I go with.Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
i have had alot of the fuji ceramics break myself. just bought a cheapo berkey lightning rod because it had the titaniun liners. i am hard on equipment.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Get yourself an Aftco roller tip. A #16 will work for the senator. As far as the rest of the guides go you may still want to use a pro for those.

·
Registered
706 Posts
hello,

Where is the rod and reel depot located, do they have good selection of blanks and rod component. Do you know if he has those black wire guides for king/cobia rods 70mm and down.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The Rod N Reel Depot is located on lillian hwy in the back of Goin Fishin bait and tackle. He has a nice selection of rod components and blanks. Nothing wrong with going to the other places listed above but why pay shipping or the extra gas driving all the way to orange beach for a couple of components when you can stop in and see Ron. If he doesnt have it he can get it for you.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
tailfisher (12/23/2007)hello,

Where is the rod and reel depot located, do they have good selection of blanks and rod component. Do you know if he has those black wire guides for king/cobia rods 70mm and down.
ivegot a few sets of the black perfections. let me know if you want to take a look at a set. most of the guides are fairly easy to find now (they were out of production for a little while, but now getting restocked most places) but the 20mm and 24mm are still difficult to find sometimes. but i think they, too, will become more accessible soon.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
as for the tips... fuji (and other companies) makes different grades of insert guides. you have probably broken the aluminum oxide guides (black insert). the hardloys (grey insert) are better, and unless you are really hard on them, they should do. alconite rings are another that are very durable. if you still want an insert guide instead of a roller tip at the top of the line, the siC (shiny blackish) are very very durable, but quite pricey as well.

hope this helps, and always ask questions on here. there are plenty of rodbuilders that are very helpful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts