Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to the fishing scene down here and just got my kayak and now I need help with rod / reel setup. What I'm looking for

1. Decent quality - doesn't have to be highest quality ever, but no junk.

2. Reliable - I want to use it more than 1 season

3. Able to hold a decent amount of 50 lb braided line (I'm told this is what's really needed?) And reel that can handle the hard drag

4. On a budget - I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I want a couple rods. I'm hoping that I can find each pole combo for 50 or less (yes I'm fine with used) if there's no such thing I guess I'll have to buy them 1 at a time.

I apologize if you need more information or don't understand what I want. If you are a kayak fisherman in the gulf and catch mahi / Spanish / kings / cobia / shark any of the larger fish than I would love your input. I love fishing and want to do it all, that's why I moved here.

Thanks in advance everyone!

~Adam

·
Registered
319 Posts
Gotta know more about what kind of fishing your doing. Inshore,offshore trolling, bottom bouncing?

50 dollar combo that fills all that is gonna be tough to find

Also do a search of the forum this has been covered multiple times

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
With all due respect, it doesn't sound like you're experienced enough to jump straight into offshore fishing in a kayak. People die out there...

My recommendation is to spend your $50 each on a couple inshore combos and get the hang of it for a year or so. I know all these kayak reports lately have it looking like a piece of cake but we've had some unusually calm and consistent weather lately. Be careful man, learn to crawl.

Just last Sunday, I figured it was gonna be a nice day as usual and got out there only to realize it was shitting-up real quick. We found ourselves in a fairly dangerous situation out there in some nasty conditions. It was SUPPOSED to be flat that day. Had I been in any other kayak than the PA, I'm sure I would've been flipped. This one moment when my attention was to my right side and a 5' whitecap broke on me from the left. It scared the crap out of me and I believe I would've gone in had I not had plenty of experience under my belt. The surf on the way in...well let's just say it gets hairy out there. Learn to fish from a kayak first, then step up and try your hand at the offshore stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Even used a decent $50 combo will be hard. Your can start with the Penn fierce line. I have a few of them and have been happy. Kayak and specifically offshore kayak fishing is tough on your gear. You need decent gear to start with our it just won't hold up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Also on a budget I would spool with mono. A full spool of 50lb braid on a large reel will almost cost you your $50 budget. I use 15-25lb mono and many times feel the 25 is too much

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
With all due respect, it doesn't sound like you're experienced enough to jump straight into offshore fishing in a kayak. People die out there...

My recommendation is to spend your $50 each on a couple inshore combos and get the hang of it for a year or so. I know all these kayak reports lately have it looking like a piece of cake but we've had some unusually calm and consistent weather lately. Be careful man, learn to crawl.

Just last Sunday, I figured it was gonna be a nice day as usual and got out there only to realize it was shitting-up real quick. We found ourselves in a fairly dangerous situation out there in some nasty conditions. It was SUPPOSED to be flat that day. Had I been in any other kayak than the PA, I'm sure I would've been flipped. This one moment when my attention was to my right side and a 5' whitecap broke on me from the left. It scared the crap out of me and I believe I would've gone in had I not had plenty of experience under my belt. The surf on the way in...well let's just say it gets hairy out there. Learn to fish from a kayak first, then step up and try your hand at the offshore stuff.
This times 1000.

Just last week a kayaker sank his kayak off Navarre and had to be rescued by the Navarre Beach FD. It was close to dark and the guy is LUCKY to be alive.

We have been fortunate this year in that we have only had one guy killed offshore in a kayak this year but fact is, when you have people who have no idea about basic water/fishing knowledge and head straight out in big water in a small boat, tragedy is going to strike more often!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Everybody starts somewhere. That being said, if you're going to start out in the gulf, make sure you go with someone for a while and preferably someone with experience. Have more than enough safety gear, a VHF radio, a lifejacket and watch the weather. If it looks rough, IT IS!!!! Don't go!!!!

As far as rod and reel setups go, if you want something of any quality, used or new, you're going to spend around 100 bucks or more. I wouldn't even suggest anything less. Your rods and reels will be getting far more exposed to salt water on the kayak than on a boat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been kayak fishing in the sound, and do OK on resist
Redfish, and trout. I just got my pro angler and am actually out in the gulf with it as I type. I am safety conscience and safety will always be number one. I'm just brand new in the actual gulf rather than intercoastal.

As far as searching I have found that since I exclusively use my phone searching is hard to do on the forum. I'm still getting used to this forum.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Lol...well your first post made you sound totally green. As Chris V said, you aren't getting much for $50. It's worth it to save and spend a little more. The 50# braid is overkill in a kayak. I pulled up a 20# snapper last week with 15# mono. I good medium sized penn (new spinfisher is great!) with 15# braid and a decent rod will catch just about anything you hook into out there.

·
Super Moderator
27,949 Posts
I have 2 inshore combos (Penn Battle 4000) loaded w/ 30 lb braid due to fishing mostly 3MB. I have caught some purty stout bulls and would be about perfect fer what you need. I also have a couple Penn Fierce 5000/6000 that I use when I think I need something a bit bigger....5000 loaded w/ 30 lb braid, and 6000 has 30 lb mono. Rods are generally cheaper rods, I never spend more then about a bill on them. I have only broken 1 rod out there and that was trying to turn some beast that was dragging my yak!!! hahaha Never saw what it was!

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
I have been kayak fishing in the sound, and do OK on resist
Redfish, and trout. I just got my pro angler and am actually out in the gulf with it as I type. I am safety conscience and safety will always be number one. I'm just brand new in the actual gulf rather than intercoastal.

As far as searching I have found that since I exclusively use my phone searching is hard to do on the forum. I'm still getting used to this forum.
I find it easier to use the forum on my phone using the non-mobile version where you just zoom In.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts