Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out x-teen miles out this past tuesday. My 2d daughter and I had just fought and lost a vw beetle of a fish on that rod. I replaced the hook and re-baited. It wasn't out no more than 3 minutes. The drag didn't even sing when I heard a bang, bang, kaloosh, and it was bye bye rod/reel.
I'm thinking from the previous fight, the line got pulled tight into looser line on the spool, which wouldn't easily allow the line to spool out on light drag when the fish hit and ran.
Water depth was around 112' to 122'. My rod and reel was last seen heading WNW of the MOB spot I marked.
If by chance someone happens to snag the line or rod or find it diving, I'd appreciate getting the rod back. It's not an expensive rod, but I've had it since at least the 80's. Lost it once in the 90's at the freighter, and a diver found it for me the same day.
The rod is a 2-piece and grayish black colored. The eyes are hand-wrapped with purple thread, has large chrome eyes for casting distance.
The reel was a Mitchell 302 spooled with 30# Cajun (red) mono.
I'm sure it is very unlikely, BUT, If you find it, can I at least have the rod back. It probably isn't worth $40 at most, but there's a lot of sentimental value to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pick up mine while you're down there. Outcast medium heavy rod with a penn battleII 4000 on it. It was about miles from yours in 95' of water.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know right, but he said he don't dive that deep no mo.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I really like those old Mitchell reels. I lost a vintage 624 conventional reel on a cheap rod in the pass several years ago. I'd had that reel since I was 13 or 14.

My fault, it wasn't in a rod holder.

Sorry about your rod.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts