Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a release reels sg and have been doing a lot of research but would like any recommendations on a rod to pair it with. It'll be for both trolling and bottom fishing. I've been looking at the Shimano trevala, penn mariner, and stellar lite. All 6'6" med-med/heavy. Just don't know which would be the best bang for my buck. Any help is greatly appreciated. If there is a better suggestion please throw it in there as well thanks! And thanks to bbarton for getting me hooked on kayak fishing :)

·
Make it a Grady Day.
2,784 Posts
I'm a Penn guy myself, but would suggest going to a store that has all you're interested in, and maybe some you haven't considered and try them out.

catch 'em up.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Why spend $250 on reel with a horrible reputation and then try to troll and bottom fish with it which require two completely different set ups. It looks like you're willing to spend around $400 on the one set up.

You can spend that and get two combos, one for trolling and one for bottom fishing and they'd both be better than what you are trying to do with one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! I haven't read anything bad about the release reels sg? What reputation do they have that is bad, and what would you suggest jd?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
EVERYONE that I know that has a release has had issues. They (Release) just has a great social media campaign among the kayak crowd.

Personally for $400 you can get these two combos full of line.

Shimano Speedmasters ($120) on an Ugly Stick Big Water custom ($70) filled with 20lb mono and a Penn 6500 jigging combo ($165) filled with 50lb braid. I have four of the trolling combos and three of the jigging combos and have sold several friends these combos and no one has complaints. You can get both with line for about the same price as an SG with trevela.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a winner jd thanks but what would you suggest for a lever drag instead of the Shimano? Maybe a penn squall? I can get one for $125 if that do the trick as well just not as comfortable with stars it's personal preference. Also is there a reason for going with a spinning reel for bottom fishing?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bottom fishing you're gonna need some heavy drag to lift fish and keep them from running into the reef. The penn ssv has 25 lbs of drag or so. Also it comes with a jigging rod that will work great all for under $200. Don't know of a conventional with that much drag and durability that you can get rod and reel for under 200. I think that's why jd recommends that combo. I'm running the "jd special" on my yak and have the ssv combo for bottom and speedmaster/ugly stik combo for trolling and can say I'm glad I took his advice. Really like both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohhh I gotcha figured as much but I'm talking about the lever drag for trolling I'll def be getting an ssv combo no doubt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a TLD 15 with 20lb mono for trolling, because I prefer lever drag also. Works pretty well; although, I admit I don't usually give it much of a workout. Maybe something worth looking into.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think a TLD would be a little overkill though the squall would probably be the same. And jd as for the rod would you recommend the medium or m/l for the ugly stick?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You can use a lever drag. I prefer a star for mackerel. You really set it and forget it. Run 3-5lbs of drag and no need to touch it at all during the fight and no risk of accidentally bumping it which Ive seen friends do with lever drag reels *cough cough ginzu cough cough*

The speedmaster holds 500 yards of 20lbs mono. Only once was I glad I had such high capacity and that was when a client hooked into a very big sail that only jumped a few times and then proceeded to head to cuba at 50mph it seemed like! It was INSANE!

The squall is a nice reel too, but honestly Im rough on my gear, and my speedmasters have gone through two season of intense kayak charters and working their third season on a boat. I get them serviced once a year or if they get completely knocked around in the surf and I have yet to have an issue. Same with the SSVs. Mine are beat to hell and back and still are cranking em in.

I like the jigging rods and spinning reels for two reasons.

1: the jigging rod doesnt put that much pressure on the angler like a traditional bottom rod "broom stick". When sitting in the yak this makes things much easier.

2: I often drop knocker rigs for snapper and a spinning reel handles that much easier than a conventional.

These combos, for me anyhow, have really impressed me. I honestly dont think there is anything better in the sub $200 price point for kayak anglers!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh and before ChrisV reads this, yes I too knocked a lever drag in free spool fighting a fish, and yes it was a blue marlin.

Another thing Id like to add. If Im targeting grouper specifically I do drop conventional reels with mono. Low end torque is what you need. But honestly, its rare to specifically target grouper in the kayak and Ive caught em on the SSV combos, but something about a broom stick and some low end torque does make grouper fishing a bit easier.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Awesome thanks JD well guess I'll will be getting those combos then, I sure do appreciate the feedback, it's a good thing I asked before investing so much money into one combo that's for sure. Oh and as far as say a pitching rod say I see maybe some mahi or anything and I'd want to through a bait to them a 4500 reel would be good for that yea?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Drag

2-3 pounds for trolling around and 5-8 for bottom fishing from a yak is all you want. If you put your rod in a holder with 8 lb's of drag and something big takes it you could get wet. Rod in holder you better back off the drag. Ask me how I know this?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
HAMMER THAT DRAG DOWN!

In seriousness though, looks like lots of good ideas and suggestions being bounced around about reels. I'd like to add a suggestion on the rod though which is what the original purpose of this thread was about ;)

JD mentioned it but definitely look into the jigging rods! I personally prefer shimano trevalla (originals, NOT the F or S models) but Penn, Ugly Stick, and lots of other manufacturers all have really good versions all for around $100-150. You could go high end or custom jigging but it's not necessary for a kayak.

Look at the 6-6'6" range and Med-Heavy or Heavy 50-100lbs-ish. The parabolic action really makes them a great choice for BOTH trolling and bottom fishing. Only exception as JD mentioned is targeting grouper with your bait sitting right on bottom, the grouper's likely get in his hole just from the rod bending before you'll have time to react.

However, for general bottom fishing where you're holding your bait a few cranks off the bottom, jigging rods get the job done great and they won't tire you out like holding a broomstick will.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts