Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fishing artificial baits what actions are best for twitch baits or top water baits. I have a fast action and it seems more difficult to get the bait to react how I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I always go for a slower action. Harder find for sure, medium is a little more common

My 2 main rods are medium light 7' rods, something super "whippy" with a lot of bend.

The slower you go the more you can load up the rod to launch a bait, but there is such thing as too slow.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
Mine are 7’6” and medium light with a fast tip. The rods I bought recently were the Mojo inshore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always go for a slower action. Harder find for sure, medium is a little more common

My 2 main rods are medium light 7' rods, something super "whippy" with a lot of bend.

The slower you go the more you can load up the rod to launch a bait, but there is such thing as too slow.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look around. I just bought the Penn Fierce 2 combo

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are 7’6” and medium light with a fast tip. The rods I bought recently were the Mojo inshore.

Where did yo buy them. I’m new to fishing twitch baits and top water so I’m not sure if it’s me or the rod negating the required action

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Where did yo buy them. I’m new to fishing twitch baits and top water so I’m not sure if it’s me or the rod negating the required action

Where are you located?

And what's your budget? I would strongly look into the Falcon Coastal series, they are usually 80-90$ and will definitely fit the bill for most situations.

Basspro in Destin has them in stock most of the time, if youre in Pcola, Outcast has a great selection of other rods and the fellow at the counter was super helpful while I was looking into new brands. (G-Loomis specifically)

YouTube will definitely get you going in the right direction as far as basics. Much easier to watch someone then to read about it.

WaypointTV is also a great place to go. And it's free.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you located?

And what's your budget? I would strongly look into the Falcon Coastal series, they are usually 80-90$ and will definitely fit the bill for most situations.

Basspro in Destin has them in stock most of the time, if youre in Pcola, Outcast has a great selection of other rods and the fellow at the counter was super helpful while I was looking into new brands. (G-Loomis specifically)

YouTube will definitely get you going in the right direction as far as basics. Much easier to watch someone then to read about it.

WaypointTV is also a great place to go. And it's free.

Thanks for the info. I live in gulf Breeze near tiger point. I will check out some
Channels on the twitch baits as well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Fast or extra fast tip for skipping docks, heavier topwater, and deeper jigs (bridges, deeper docs,etc.). Moderately fast tip for smaller hard plastics like mr-17, or something with smaller trebles and shallow flats (allows for longer casts and doesn’t pull the hooks as bad on softer mouthed specks, especially using braid while fighting fish).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast or extra fast tip for skipping docks, heavier topwater, and deeper jigs (bridges, deeper docs,etc.). Moderately fast tip for smaller hard plastics like mr-17, or something with smaller trebles and shallow flats (allows for longer casts and doesn’t pull the hooks as bad on softer mouthed specks, especially using braid while fighting fish).

Thanks for the tips. I noticed yesterday when I had my MR17 on my extra fast tipped
Rod the action was minimal.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,913 Posts
Since you already have fast action rods (I do) just move the rod tip a shorter distance and actually slowly lift the rod tip slightly on a tight line to impart action rather than snapping the wrist.
You're still moving the rod/line just with a little less force and distance to compensate for the rod action. Unless you have the $$$ to get the arsenal of rods in different actions and haul them along every trip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you already have fast action rods (I do) just move the rod tip a shorter distance and actually slowly lift the rod tip slightly on a tight line to impart action rather than snapping the wrist.
You're still moving the rod/line just with a little less force and distance to compensate for the rod action. Unless you have the $$$ to get the arsenal of rods in different actions and haul them along every trip.

Thanks for the tip. I’m gonna start going out to the docks near me and casting to work on learning how to fish the lures as this is new to me lol

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I'm a lil different.

Rod power & rod action are what you're referring to.

I like MH power rated rod w/ a med action.

Med. & slow power rated rods feel like a limp noodle to me, although impressive when the rod doubles over, you've lost all your leverage when fighting fish. If the rod is already bent double, where can it go when fish surges, etc.
I like a rod w/ back-bone I know I can manhandle fish when needed.

I have no trouble slinging an mr17 a long way, top water...cast a country mile.
I use a 300-4000 series reel, spooled with 10# power pro & 15-20# fluoro. leaders.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,913 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I’m gonna start going out to the docks near me and casting to work on learning how to fish the lures as this is new to me lol

Don't know if you're wading, in a boat/yak but try this while playing with the lures.
Find a sand bottom, clear water and play with them there. You'll be able to see the action better and adjust. Trying it from a dock brings it's own problems as you are way high off the water and the angle of the line to lure has drastically changed and lure action will not be the same. Unless you always fish off a dock.

Be one with the lure grasshopper. :D

And for the hooks pulling out on fish, my opinion is that's what a drag is for. Loosen it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know if you're wading, in a boat/yak but try this while playing with the lures.
Find a sand bottom, clear water and play with them there. You'll be able to see the action better and adjust. Trying it from a dock brings it's own problems as you are way high off the water and the angle of the line to lure has drastically changed and lure action will not be the same. Unless you always fish off a dock.

Be one with the lure grasshopper. :D

And for the hooks pulling out on fish, my opinion is that's what a drag is for. Loosen it.

Thanks again. I will be mainly wading and kayak fishing so I know I that changes presentation methods. I plan on getting out soon and go at it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts