Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking advantage of some leave days and my wife and I went to Rocky Bayou for some paddling. Figured it'd be a good place with smaller beginner friendly fish and my goal was to try getting her first kayak fish. Had a blast in the couple hours we were out.

SW winds 5-10, not too choppy. Bait was busting all over across the bayou and getting tore up by leather jackets. Nothing even nibbled on our live shrimp under the popping corks. No strikes working any of the bait schools out in the open water.

Switched out to a gold johnson spoon because the water visibility was garbage, figured the spoon flashing and action would work better. Was a good call: two nice sail cats inhaled it quick. Moved over near some structure and a nice 29" red took off with the spoon. Still nothing on popping cork or carolina rigged live shrimp. So I handed the rod with the gold spoon off to my wife and coached her on how to use it around the structure and within 5 minutes she was on her first sleigh ride. Fortunately this red decided to beeline it straight out and away from the pilings on his first run. Her first kayak fish was a gorgeous 33" red. Great time on the water with my wife and good fishing.

Glad she brought her beginner's luck with her. Those are some of the biggest fish I've caught in that area.

Reactions: Jgatorman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice man, looks like yall had a good day on the water.

·
Super Moderator
28,808 Posts
Awesome report!!! Glad ya'll could share that fishing time!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sounds like a great day and a great adventure! I just took my better half out on Lake Heather on the back of my PA14(sat on small cooler) and then I let her pedal solo for a while she loved it. Wish I could convince her away from a paddle board vs kayak...no luck yet but still trying. We have not purchased yet so fingers crossed. I told her I would even foot the bill on a tandem PA17 if she was truly up for it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a great day and a great adventure! I just took my better half out on Lake Heather on the back of my PA14(sat on small cooler) and then I let her pedal solo for a while she loved it. Wish I could convince her away from a paddle board vs kayak...no luck yet but still trying. We have not purchased yet so fingers crossed. I told her I would even foot the bill on a tandem PA17 if she was truly up for it!
We still haven't tried paddle boarding. Think we might be getting a tandem at some point in the future. Just hope our next move puts us somewhere close to lots of water!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts