Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been testing them all (channel, blue, & flatheads). Just finished a big meal of flatheads. My family all agree that our favorite fried catfish is Blue Cats!! Pretty sure channels would barely beat flatheads for second. They are all incredibly good. So what's your favorite???

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just fillet the smaller ones and the big ones I cut into chunks an inch to an inch and a half square. Shake 'em in a bag with cornmeal based fish coating (like Zatterain's) and deep fry in really hot grease. They'll sink initially. When they float back to top they are done -- and it doesn't take long!!!!! I used to use a cast iron kettle on a propane burner and a full can of crisco. Fry your french fries first and wrap them in several layers of paper towels. Open a jar of bread and butter pickles, a little cole slaw on the side.........oh yeah, a yeungling in your left hand

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i like the flats myself also. does anyone other than me fry the small ones on the bone whole? probably my favorite way to eat them when I can get them that size.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Flatheads #1, small (1 - 2 lb) blues or channels next fried whole, over 5 lbs, blue or channel fillets. Man I'm hungry...

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm surprised that butter cats aka. bullheads, pollywoggs didn't make anyone else's list.
Do those have a yellow looking meat. Skin and color look like a flat head? If it is we caught those in pond creek when I was a kid and yes I remember them being very good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts