Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to do some night fishing, but all I have on my boat at present is the spreader light and two small courtesy lights on the bottom sides of my center console. I have a 2012 Sea Hunt Ultra. Someone give me some ideas on what type of lighting to add to my boat as well as any other suggestions on night fishing. Pics of your setup would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Duerwood Willis
1,748 Posts
I'm in the process of adding Led lighting under my gunnels, 16.4 feet for $9 from Amazon. They offer many colors and it's cut to fit in 3" sections. This adds good cheap light to see while on the boat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The led lights are definitely something I'm considering. In fact I have them in my checkout cart on Amazon. But then I was wandering if a spreader light off the front of the tower would also provide enough interior light (in conjunction with the rear spreader light). I'm thinking I need a spreader light off the front of the tower anyway for navigation (if it's legal, otherwise how do you see to navigate?). The led lights would definitely add the "cool" factor anyway.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,117 Posts
The led lights are definitely something I'm considering. In fact I have them in my checkout cart on Amazon. But then I was wandering if a spreader light off the front of the tower would also provide enough interior light (in conjunction with the rear spreader light). I'm thinking I need a spreader light off the front of the tower anyway for navigation (if it's legal, otherwise how do you see to navigate?). The led lights would definitely add the "cool" factor anyway.

A spreader light on the front of the tower will just blind you when running at night. It's best to have no lights in your eyes at night so you can see forward. While fishing they would be great.

All of my boats have under gunwale LED lights but they are only on when fishing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Here is my setup. I went to Chris from coastal night lights for my spreader (front and rear). We also had a flourecent light under the t top which we changed to led. You definitely need to go with LEDs just due to power consumption. There is nothing more worrisome then running halogens all night and praying u have enough juice for the engines. I can run all of my lights for 12 hours and still enough amps to crank the engine. I have red and blue under the gunnel but you cannot run with them on

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics! Ocean Master I understand what your saying about the lights in your eyes while trying to navigate. I'm going to add the forward pointing spreader light on the front of my tower and see how that works.

The Sea Hunt Ultra has no place under the gunnel in the bow area to put LEDs. They only have this pad running around the bow. I have considered putting the LEDs under those, but the LEDs would be pointing out instead of down and just not sure how that would look/work being you may be able to see the LEDs. The horizontal rod holders under the gunnel are in the rear of the boat, and I was going to run the LEDs inside those like feel in' wright has done with his. Note his are more forward than mine would be.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If you decide to do led look at coastalnightlights.com. Awesome people to work with. Quite a few on the PFF have dealt with him and always had great reviews.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You doing inshore or off? I do a lot of bay fishing at night and frankly don't need more than a $10 headlamp from Lowes. My boat has the blue under gunnel lights but I rarely use them while fishing. I've found that the less lights there are on the boat, the easier it is to see. I only use the headlamp for releasing fish or changing tackle.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You doing inshore or off? I do a lot of bay fishing at night and frankly don't need more than a $10 headlamp from Lowes. My boat has the blue under gunnel lights but I rarely use them while fishing. I've found that the less lights there are on the boat, the easier it is to see. I only use the headlamp for releasing fish or changing tackle.
Mostly inshore. I've tried just using the headlamps and they work fine while fishing. I guess it depends on how much light is around you (dock lights, bridge lights, etc.). But I've been out around a new moon and could not see squat. Scary while navigating. Them darn buoys get in the way. Have to constantly look at my navigation screen, which will blind you also. If I install LEDs they will probably be red and kept fairly dim. Seems like overhead lights (spreader) would interfere less than lower lights (under gunnel). But I've never used them so I don't know.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My last boat had a t-top with spreader lights. Useless for navigation. My general rule of thumb is never fish anywhere at night that I've not been to in the daytime. For navigation, a Q-beam might be a better option if you are just looking for nav aids. I've been out on the new moons too and agree, not my preferred condition but am a lot more cautious.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My center console has a soft t-top and is rigged with 2 LED lights in the rear and 2 in the front. These are rigged as wide as possible allowing more light when your anchored or drifting to see past the gunnels. The lights draw 1/10 of a amp each and provide plenty of light if needed.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My center console has a soft t-top and is rigged with 2 LED lights in the rear and 2 in the front. These are rigged as wide as possible allowing more light when your anchored or drifting to see past the gunnels. The lights draw 1/10 of a amp each and provide plenty of light if needed.
Similar to what I have now. My light on my t top is more like a flood light than a true "spreader" light. It has a fairly wide beam and can project fairly far from the boat. Not so much light in the boat though (which is good). I can position it to project out or down more in the boat. I think I will add another one of those off the front of the t top also which will help while drifting or slow trolling. Here's the one I have now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1G3I3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have the link to the LED lights on Amazon? Tks.
There are so many on Amazon, that you will literally go crazy trying to decide which to buy. I was looking at the RGB color changing LEDs. I didn't like the controller and remote that came with most, so if I go that route, I will order those separately. Here is the ones I'm looking at.

And controller and remote.

I'm going to see how the front light off the tower works before I decide on the LEDs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts