Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A possible weather window opened up so headed out on StoryTime with Craig, Al and Trey Fyock to see if we could land some winter time yellowfins.

Southbound and down, loaded up for chunking out of Sherman Cove Sunday around noon thirty. Smooth 30 mph run 75 miles to our fist stop for the evening troll: Petronius and Marlin. Made a few laps and the sun went down with no takers so reeled in lines and headed south. Nothing at Horn Mountain so set the autopilot to Nakika. Blackfin bonanza from the start and started chunking. 5 yellowfin by 11 pm and then it shut off like a light. Stayed on the jigging and chunking until daybreak when Craig and I found some life jigging by the corner of the rig and chunked the area and BAM! Our last yellowfin of the trip. Everyone caught one so smiles all around. Tried some live baiting at sunrise but no love. Water temps were low at 70 max so head home, right? HELL NO! Chug over to Appomattox and put the spread back out.

We rolled up on Appomattox to see schools of ballyhoo running and jumping for their lives with BIG tuna flying through the air in pursuit. Followed the birds and tuna around with a bite on the long line but missed the hook. Made one more circle and BAM!!! Long line goes off….then port rigger goes off!! Long line stops but port rigger is pulling line like a freight train! Cleared all of the other lines and we were down to half a spool of a thousand yards so Trey goes to work. It looked like a Marlin strike but fought like a tuna. A BAT (Big Ass Tuna). 2 hours later we brought a blue marlin boat side. Incredible fight but unfortunately tail wrapped and expired. Was too short to keep so sent her back out to the circle of life. Hated that but part of the sport.

Packed it up and headed to the hill.

Awesome trip with an outstanding crew. Already looking forward to the next…

Enjoy the video iCloud

Water Sky Boat Smile Watercraft
Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft
Water Sky Boat Smile Muscle
Water Boat Sky Naval architecture Watercraft
Smile Water Sky Cloud Goggles
Water Sky Boat Naval architecture Watercraft
Water Vehicle Sky Offshore drilling Naval architecture
Water Sky Offshore drilling Building Naval architecture
Water Sky Cloud Boat Afterglow
Water Sky Cloud Body of water Semi-submersible
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle
Electricity Building Industry Tints and shades City
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Sky
Boat Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Beard
Flash photography Musician Entertainment Performing arts Event
Wheel Tire Leg Automotive design Knee
Musician Performing arts Entertainment Elbow Music
World Lighting Fun Flash photography Automotive design
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle
Water Sky Boat Naval architecture Cloud
Water Sky Shorts Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Sky Boat Naval architecture Cloud
Glasses Sky Boat Blue Naval architecture
Water Sky Boat White Watercraft
Water Sky Smile Watercraft Boat
Water Sky Boat Cloud Smile
Smile Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Aircraft
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Naval architecture
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Fisherman
Food Fish Electric blue Fin Ray-finned fish

· Registered
7,459 Posts
Great trip! Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
24 Posts
Great post and great pictures! I have the same boat (2020 Gamefish 25 with 2 x Yamaha150's) How was the fuel burn on that long of a ride out. Did you need to bring extra cans? How much fuel did you end up with at the end of the trip. How many total miles

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great post and great pictures! I have the same boat (2020 Gamefish 25 with 2 x Yamaha150's) How was the fuel burn on that long of a ride out. Did you need to bring extra cans? How much fuel did you end up with at the end of the trip. How many total miles
We burned 174 gallons. I brought my 100 gallon fuel bladder and with it in the cockpit it held about 84 gallons so it combined with the 140 in the tank (it seems we cannot get the full 150 in it) we still had about 45 gallons left. I don’t recall the total miles but guessing 260-270 total. Hope that helps

· Registered
228 Posts
Great post guys. I had a group that fished out of Venice with one of Mexican Gulf Charters on 02/21/2023 and got skunked on tuna and wahoo.
One question, how did the boat ride with ~700# of fuel in the bow? How did you transfer the fuel from the bladder to the tank?

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great post guys. I had a group that fished out of Venice with one of Mexican Gulf Charters on 02/21/2023 and got skunked on tuna and wahoo.
One question, how did the boat ride with ~700# of fuel in the bow? How did you transfer the fuel from the bladder to the tank?
I have tried it on the bow on other boats but could not get it secured well so we fill it up in the cockpit and leave it there until we burn enough to transfer. It still leaves enough space for bean bags on either side and when fishing . We use and electric fill rite pump 8gpm. Made for gasoline. Hooks up to batteries so be sure to have your batteries accessible. I bring a manual siphon in case the electric pump fails for some reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts