Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a friend who has hunted his entire life. he tried to site my scope in today. he was on his lunch and in a hurry but did all he could and its still off. its mounted on the gun correctly but will not adjust. should i take it to a gunsmith or start looking for a new scope? what is a good scope at a reasonable price? im kindof new to this.

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
It all depends on the scope on it now (good manufacturers have warranties), butcheck the mounts (you want the scope bell as close to the barrel as you can get it), and any big dents/dings in the scope may have damaged the internal components.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What type of scope is it? (Wire,hair or etched cross hairs) More than likely wire Hair is old school and etched is in your up scale scopes.

First; do the cross hairs move at all when you adjust?

Caliber of the rifle? Do to the recoil that is why I am asking.Some scopes are not designed for heavy recoil, and a rifle scope is not designed for the forward recoil of a air rifle or spring.. Some thing about the reverse push or something like that.

So with all said with the BLAB,BLAB

While holding the rifle by the barrel hit the butt on the ground a few times, then check to make sure the screws are tight on the rings.After checking the bases, first.

Then start all over, if things still are out of Whack, get a new scope....

If you need to get a new scope, invst or get with someone that has:

1; Scope ring alignment tool, and check that the rings are round so as not to get a pinch (Never over tighten)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Need more information.

1. What type of bases and rings are on the scope? If you are using standard Leupold bases and rings did you adjust the rear base so that the the windage adjustment on the scope was centered when you bore sighted it or did you just tighten it up and call it good?

2. When you say it is "still off" does that mean that the rifle is shooting acceptable groups with that scope but he ran out of adjustment or does that mean that the rifle is shooting all over the place with no appreciable groups at all?

3. Does the scope track properly. Meaning when you make an adjustment (lets assume 8 clicks at 100 yards to make the math easy) does the bullet impact move 2 inches, or very close to it, or does it move the bullet impact with no measurable consistancy?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you dudes are talking way over my head. im very new at all of this. i have been shooting dove for years but as far as rifle hunting, im clueless. i know it wont shoot where i tell it too. hahai looked at some scopes on cabellas and bushnell has a dawn to dark scope (i think thats what it was called) for $159.00. is there a certian amount i should spend in order to get decent quality?

·
Registered
456 Posts
It all depends on what you consider good quality. I have a $1000 scope on my benchrest rifle, but I have a 200.00 tasco on my 270 deer rifle. I personally believe if it works well for you the price should not matter. But, there are some things that higher end scopes will offer that some of the lower end scopes do not. Also you may notice the clarity of the glass and the selection of different styles of adjustment knobs and crosshairs will be better quality with the higher end scopes.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Why buy a new scope is yours is could be a easy fix??? take it to outcast, mikes, ubers, any gunsmith in town and tell them what it is doing and see if they can find out what is wrong with it...it might be something very simple and a quick free or very cheap fix rather than buy a new scope...and with optics...you get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why buy a new scope is yours is could be a easy fix??? take it to outcast, mikes, ubers, any gunsmith in town and tell them what it is doing and see if they can find out what is wrong with it...it might be something very simple and a quick free or very cheap fix rather than buy a new scope...and with optics...you get what you pay for
Exactly. Take it to a gun shop or gunsmith and let them check it out. It could be a very easy fix but if it isn't someone that knows what to look for may be able to point you in the right direction.

There are very few scopes under $200 that I would recommend. One is a shooters edge that we sell at Mikes and the other is a Burris Full Field II (I have 2 of these myself) which is an excellent scope and will compare to much more expensive scopes in the $400 price range. Nikon Buckmaster is a great scope for the money and a 3-9X40 will run just barely over $200.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, im gonna take it in to a shop before i buy a new scope. i need too get over too mikes. i have never been there. thanks guys

·
Registered
112 Posts
bigbulls (1/21/2010)
Exactly. Take it to a gun shop or gunsmith and let them check it out. It could be a very easy fix but if it isn't someone that knows what to look for may be able to point you in the right direction.

There are very few scopes under $200 that I would recommend. One is a shooters edge that we sell at Mikes and the other is a Burris Full Field II (I have 2 of these myself) which is an excellent scope and will compare to much more expensive scopes in the $400 price range. Nikon Buckmaster is a great scope for the money and a 3-9X40 will run just barely over $200.
I love my Burris Full field 2 it spanks the hell out of my bushnell 3200. I will buy another burris when the time comes

·
Registered
463 Posts
gcrbama (1/22/2010)yeah, im gonna take it in to a shop before i buy a new scope. i need too get over too mikes. i have never been there. thanks guys
Notto be different here but I would send it back to the manufactuer. If anyone goes into the scope it will certainly void the warranty. Even if it doesn't have a lifetime warranty most companies will repair it for a modest cost, probably mostly postage.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Speckulator (1/22/2010)mekell---You don't have to "go into a scope" to find out if it's bad.....

George
That's not what he said.

Most good scope companies have great customer service. If it's something mechanically, and not broke from abuse, I'd be willing to bet the company will make it right.

Going into it to "attempt" to fix it will kill ANY warranty on anything. I think that is what he meant.

I had a Meopta for over 10 yrs. It fogged up out of nowhere last year. I sent it off, they sent me a brand new one no questions asked.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this simmons scope is on a remington 30 06 that rode in the floorboard of a guys pick up for who knows how long. he was just hurting for money and basically giving it away. i couldnt pass it up. the gun alone is worth twice what he gave it too me for.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's not what he said.

Most good scope companies have great customer service. If it's something mechanically, and not broke from abuse, I'd be willing to bet the company will make it right.

Going into it to "attempt" to fix it will kill ANY warranty on anything. I think that is what he meant.
Who said anything about "going into" a scope or even "attempting to fix" the scope? You don't have to go into a scope to determine if it tracks properly or holds zero.

·
Registered
463 Posts
bigbulls (1/23/2010)
That's not what he said.

Who said anything about "going into" a scope or even "attempting to fix" the scope? You don't have to go into a scope to determine if it tracks properly or holds zero.
He said that it could not be set to target. What do you think the next step should be??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
mekell (1/23/2010)
bigbulls (1/23/2010)
That's not what he said.

He said that it could not be set to target. What do you think the next step should be??

take it to somebody who works on guns and let them look at it...one of the bases might be a little loose, a ring might be lose, scope might have moved in the rings, there is a endless amount of things that could be wrong with it...but he should take it to a gun shop and have them put it on the bore scope and go from there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts