Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an opportunity to buy either used Tarpon 120 or Ride 115. Have heard ride is more stable, better fishing platform. Tarpon is faster, less stable and not as much storage. Will be fishing primarily inshore bays and marsh and some rivers and small lakes. Will not be spending much time standing. I am 5'10 200#. Would like a yak I can easily transport in a truck.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Also, check out the weight carrying capacities of each yak. Many times kayak manufacturers over state those weights so if it was me, I'd pick the one with the highest weight carrying capacity.

·
Registered
180 Posts
One other aspect is that the Tarpon paddles easier and is a bit faster.
I have one of each and for fishing, I think the Ride 115 is a better platform.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
At some point you're going to get tired of just looking at offshore posts and want to try it yourself. If you do, you'll want to consider the Tarpon 140 because it'll track much better than the 120 for days when you're covering a lot of open water. I used to have a T-160 and had some days offshore where I covered between 10-15miles total. Not straight off the beach mind you, I was only about 2-3miles from shore at any point in time, but still A LOT of paddling especially when you consider wind and current as well.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts