Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,967 Posts
So here is some first hand information. I have one on my Cape Horn 31XS. 36v, 120#, 84" shaft. I went with the lithium battery setup because I didn't want the weight and loss of space from the 3 Lead batteries. I charter off my boat and used in extensively during snapper season and it was a game changer. I don't use a deck hand so being able to drop the trolling motor and lock on the spot really freed me up to help the clients, bait hooks, take fish off, etc. without having to constantly stay on the throttles to keep the boat on the spot. Made my chartering much easier and more enjoyable. I have had zero issues with mine. Josh at Emerald Coast Bait and Tackle in Fort Walton Beach is working on becoming an authorized service center for the motors.
After installing mine a good friend put one on his boat. He had an issue after about a week and they sent him a new part to install. He used it a few more times and had another issue and he had to send it in. I had seen others recommend that you keep the box and had instructed him to do so as well so he had the box. They paid the shipping back to them, got it fixed and sent it back within a week. His motor dropped a magnet. No cost to him whatsoever.

Mine holds on the spot great and you can make adjustments after locking on. I have mine set up so that once my port motor battery charges to a certain level it opens a switch and powers the lithium battery charger. I have used the trolling motor a lot and have never had to charge the battery. It stays charged from the outboard. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

So you use 1 36v battery? If so how long does it last?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have heard they are really good, pretty pricy, but save space and weight, around $2K is what I was told.... But hey, you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I have a 48v on my Carolina Skiff 198 DLV. It has been great, so far. Had a problem with the remote not connecting up. They sent me a new remote and receiver under warranty, without question. It holds a spot well and had been very reliable. If you want one, get on the list. It took several weeks from order due to the wait. This was a year ago, so some things may have changed.

P.S. Another thing I like about them is that they are designed & Manufactured not only in the USA but right here if Florida. Yes, some of the parts are foreign sourced but they do the bulk of the work here.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,967 Posts
48v ?

TIP:
I have found in the MK remotes if they stop working and you put a new battery in and they still don't work, put the remote battery in upside down for 30 seconds and then put it back in right side up and it will start working. I know it sounds crazy but I have had to do it 3 times already and it works.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a 72" on Grady White, I wish I had bought the 84" model but it gets the job done. It's been in the shop 3 times, I've never had to pay for anything, all covered under warranty. They even sent me a new heavier base when the metal rod that slides in broke. I did have to mount an aluminum plate to get the motor far enough over the edge.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I installed a 120# 36v 84" on my 23 cc in Jan 2018. No major issues to date. Has worked perfectly and I love it.

As for the deployment, just keep the slide collar lubricated with some Vaseline occasionally and it will deploy easily.
It comes with quick release base and Ram mount clamp to hold the head assembly while running. Minn Kota charges extra for those.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
So you use 1 36v battery? If so how long does it last?
I stated in my post that I have never had to charge it. I have used it constantly running to hold a spot for 3-4 hrs and never noticed any battery drain. I also never shut down my outboards so it never stops charging. The 36v battery was $2300 but comes with the charger, only weighs 30 pounds and is supposed to last four to five times as long as the lead acid batteries. Time will tell but for now I am very satisfied with mine.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,967 Posts
I stated in my post that I have never had to charge it. I have used it constantly running to hold a spot for 3-4 hrs and never noticed any battery drain. I also never shut down my outboards so it never stops charging. The 36v battery was $2300 but comes with the charger, only weighs 30 pounds and is supposed to last four to five times as long as the lead acid batteries. Time will tell but for now I am very satisfied with mine.

Wow that is pretty impressive. I will look into that. Does the onboard charger had a 110 plug as well?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Just the opposite of everything I’ve been reading about them. Even read about a couple cases where they gave the owner the parts free to repair out of warranty motors.
Well, that's good to hear. This was only one guy's account of someone he knew, so you know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
48v ?

TIP:
I have found in the MK remotes if they stop working and you put a new battery in and they still don't work, put the remote battery in upside down for 30 seconds and then put it back in right side up and it will start working. I know it sounds crazy but I have had to do it 3 times already and it works.
My remote quit turning on once, and my wife ran across this tip - I told her I didn't think that should work, but we tried it and it did. Weird but it works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 36v 84" Rhodan on my Grady 257. I have had two different issues within the first year of use. Both times I fixed the issue myself and Rhodan over-nighted replacement parts to me free of charge.

First problem was the steering quit working. Second problem was the cast aluminum steering box cracked and blew apart. When the steering box broke I was using it in solid 3 foot seas and it was coming out of the water about every tenth wave or so. I guess the added force of it running on top of the water was too much for the steering box. I can discuss each issue and how I fixed them in more detail if you need more info.

I had a 36v 72" Minn Kota on my old boat for about two years and never had a single problem with it other than the remotes. Rhodan customer service has been great and they are pretty simple to fix but I think they have some areas where their engineering and part materials could be improved.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've had one for 4 seasons now. Love it. Had issues with the mother board twice. Once under warranty and once 6 months after warranty ran out. Both times Rhodan sent me a free box, paid for shipping both ways, and retuned it to me less than 2 weeks door-to-door. Last time they upgraded the motherboard, the GPS system, and changed out the steering gear with an updated version and I was only sending back for motherboard issues. But the key here is they did ALL OF THAT, free of charge,, outside of the 2-year warranty window.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I charter a 26 Imemsa Panga and always use my Rhodan when reef fishing. I've run 3 consecutive trips without charging the batteries plenty of times. Performance wise, I couldn't be happier. Only once did I encounter a sea condition that the motor wouldn't hold up in, and I fixed that by putting the outboard in gear. I did have it repaired under the warranty window (steering motor died) at no cost. Of course I'd rather it didn't need service, but the service was excellent!

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for lots of good info. The model I’ll need is a 24v 54” and it will be on a much lighter boat than what most of you guys have them on. Blazer Bay 2170. I’m hoping that may help with the steering breakdowns.

I dunno. I’m gonna think on it for a bit.

Hearing how good there customer service is tells me I’ll probably be getting one though. Or another MotorGuide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So here is some first hand information. I have one on my Cape Horn 31XS. 36v, 120#, 84" shaft. I went with the lithium battery setup because I didn't want the weight and loss of space from the 3 Lead batteries. I charter off my boat and used in extensively during snapper season and it was a game changer. I don't use a deck hand so being able to drop the trolling motor and lock on the spot really freed me up to help the clients, bait hooks, take fish off, etc. without having to constantly stay on the throttles to keep the boat on the spot. Made my chartering much easier and more enjoyable. I have had zero issues with mine. Josh at Emerald Coast Bait and Tackle in Fort Walton Beach is working on becoming an authorized service center for the motors.
After installing mine a good friend put one on his boat. He had an issue after about a week and they sent him a new part to install. He used it a few more times and had another issue and he had to send it in. I had seen others recommend that you keep the box and had instructed him to do so as well so he had the box. They paid the shipping back to them, got it fixed and sent it back within a week. His motor dropped a magnet. No cost to him whatsoever.

Mine holds on the spot great and you can make adjustments after locking on. I have mine set up so that once my port motor battery charges to a certain level it opens a switch and powers the lithium battery charger. I have used the trolling motor a lot and have never had to charge the battery. It stays charged from the outboard. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I am about to do the same thing. Where did you put the battery? Anchor locker?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am about to do the same thing. Where did you put the battery? Anchor locker?
I looked at another boat just like mine that has the same setup and he put his in the anchor locker and it makes the anchor kind of hard to get in and out. I put mine in the back in the compartment in the transom where my other batteries are located. There was just enough room to get it in there. The plug is installed in the anchor locker where it is out of the weather.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If there are others on here who have had Minnkotas or perhaps knowledge on how these motors work, let me know if you have any suggestions.

I had a Minnkota 24-volt Terrova with 72 inch shaft installed in early spring. It worked fine the first couple of months. But when snapper season approached I started having problems.

It would hold the spot for a while, and then I would notice we were drifting. It became more frequent as time progressed. Then the left assist spring came loose. At this point it was hardly ever holding a spot for more than a few minutes.

I made arrangements to take the motor to L&L Marine near Defuniak Springs. They have the spring in stock so it didn’t take long to fix it under warranty. I started talking to them about the spotlight problems, and I called Minnkota. L&L marine wanted to blame poor signal. But I had problems consistently, not just in certain areas. They also talked about the placement of the heading sensor on the center console. But I have confirmed from a couple of sources that this is only important for spot lock jog. I am told that the basic spot lock feature should work even if the signal from the sensor to the motor head is an issue.

A part of my journey also included taking the boat to the dealer who installed it, who discovered the voltage from the battery was not good because of corrosion where the motor plugged in. They replaced it and applied lube. The motor still did not work after that. So, I took it back to the warranty dealer, and they replaced the head. I took the motor back out, and it still did not work. It is still at the dealer to have a board replaced.

Symptoms I have experienced besides potluck not holding include the ability to manually adjust the direction of the motor, but the speed function doesn’t seem to work. Maybe since the spot lock doesn’t not work, it is related to any issue with controlling the speed. When spot lock fails, the speed of the motor ramps up to the top end, 10, and just takes me on a ride.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My spot lock would lose its signal periodically, and when it starts to do that I take the head off and re-snug the cable in the control head. Seems to help for whatever reason.

The other thing that made ours keep losing lock and going crazy turned out to be the steering motor going out - must have had a bad gear or something, but any time it turned 45 degrees to port it would hang up and quit moving - you could hear the motor grinding inside when trying to turn but it wouldn't move unless I turned the head with my hand, but it would always hang up on that same spot. When that would happen, the spotlock couldn't correct and it would just ramp up to 10 and start going in circles.

No idea if that will help you, it sounds like you've had a lot of problems. I know how frustrating that is, good luck with it.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts