Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one? Looking for feedback on them. Good or bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't have one but my buddy does and it's a pain to deploy. You have to twist it just after you step on the release. Not sure if it's just his or if they're all like that but otherwise it seems to hold a spot pretty good.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have one but my buddy does and it's a pain to deploy. You have to twist it just after you step on the release. Not sure if it's just his or if they're all like that but otherwise it seems to hold a spot pretty good.
Thanks. Been reading up on them this morning and that’s the first I’ve heard of that particular issue. Seems most feedback on them is good except for a few hacks on THT. 80 post of Bad feedback from the same three guys who own a different brand. Go figure....

Thanks Zodiac

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Went out on a 29ft with a long shaft assume about 112 36v. It did ok, for the size of the boat. But it was LOUD compared to my minn kota

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put one on my Pursuit 2870WA. 36V 84 inch. Was able to install it myself. Added a hinge to the railing for deployment. Best money i have ever spent on my boat PERIOD. It can be awkward to deploy on my buddies center console, but it is a breeze on my boat as you can get plenty of leverage.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I put one on my Pursuit 2870WA. 36V 84 inch. Was able to install it myself. Added a hinge to the railing for deployment. Best money i have ever spent on my boat PERIOD. It can be awkward to deploy on my buddies center console, but it is a breeze on my boat as you can get plenty of leverage.
Have you had to have any repair work done yet? I have been told that there are currently no local authorized repair shops for Rhodan, so if you have warranty work or repair work to be done you have to order the box, which costs $, then ship it, which costs $, then when it's repaired, they ship it back which costs $. The guy I talked to said the customer he talked to said (yeah I know, like 4th hand info) he paid $300+ for the shipping cost alone. They are not any less expensive than Minn Kota, actually a little more now, so ... the question is how durable are they? Do you get 5 years of use out of one before needing repairs instead of 3? That would perhaps make it worth the hassle, but that's a tough thing to predict.

Their big entry into the market was partly because of an available shaft length that Minn Kota didn't offer, but that's a narrowing gap now. I'm no big fan of Minn Kota, mind you... my wife and I repaired the first problem ourselves (a worn stowing motor belt, $6 part and a couple hours of work to figure it out and replace it), but the second repair cost me about $850 (stow motor gears were going bad and the steering motor was getting stuck disabling turning and had to be replaced) in the 3rd year of use, but at least I can drop it off and have it repaired and be back on the water in a week.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you had to have any repair work done yet? I have been told that there are currently no local authorized repair shops for Rhodan, so if you have warranty work or repair work to be done you have to order the box, which costs $, then ship it, which costs $, then when it's repaired, they ship it back which costs $. The guy I talked to said the customer he talked to said (yeah I know, like 4th hand info) he paid $300+ for the shipping cost alone. They are not any less expensive than Minn Kota, actually a little more now, so ... the question is how durable are they? Do you get 5 years of use out of one before needing repairs instead of 3? That would perhaps make it worth the hassle, but that's a tough thing to predict.

Their big entry into the market was partly because of an available shaft length that Minn Kota didn't offer, but that's a narrowing gap now. I'm no big fan of Minn Kota, mind you... my wife and I repaired the first problem ourselves (a worn stowing motor belt, $6 part and a couple hours of work to figure it out and replace it), but the second repair cost me about $850 (stow motor gears were going bad and the steering motor was getting stuck disabling turning and had to be replaced) in the 3rd year of use, but at least I can drop it off and have it repaired and be back on the water in a week.
Just the opposite of everything I’ve been reading about them. Even read about a couple cases where they gave the owner the parts free to repair out of warranty motors.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So here is some first hand information. I have one on my Cape Horn 31XS. 36v, 120#, 84" shaft. I went with the lithium battery setup because I didn't want the weight and loss of space from the 3 Lead batteries. I charter off my boat and used in extensively during snapper season and it was a game changer. I don't use a deck hand so being able to drop the trolling motor and lock on the spot really freed me up to help the clients, bait hooks, take fish off, etc. without having to constantly stay on the throttles to keep the boat on the spot. Made my chartering much easier and more enjoyable. I have had zero issues with mine. Josh at Emerald Coast Bait and Tackle in Fort Walton Beach is working on becoming an authorized service center for the motors.
After installing mine a good friend put one on his boat. He had an issue after about a week and they sent him a new part to install. He used it a few more times and had another issue and he had to send it in. I had seen others recommend that you keep the box and had instructed him to do so as well so he had the box. They paid the shipping back to them, got it fixed and sent it back within a week. His motor dropped a magnet. No cost to him whatsoever.

Mine holds on the spot great and you can make adjustments after locking on. I have mine set up so that once my port motor battery charges to a certain level it opens a switch and powers the lithium battery charger. I have used the trolling motor a lot and have never had to charge the battery. It stays charged from the outboard. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have had my Minn Kota i-pilot for four years now with no issues, using it 3 to 4 days a week and have wanted to get the self deploying model for a while, but was given some good advice from a person that sells and works on them. I was told they have to many issues to work out and for now, if you're current i-pilot is working good stay with it. If you are tired of climbing up and down the tower to deploy it get a neighborhood kid to go with you and do the dirty work you'll be money ahead, Still waiting......

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a boat in April with the largest rhodan. It was not working when I got it so the dealer sent it to the manufacturer for repair. Just now back at the dealers and hope to pick it up and try on Thurs. From what I've heard the best you can expect with saltwater from any brand is a couple years before something breaks but sure seems like a game changer for bottom fishing. Imagine spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a boat to essentially be a captain and let everyone else fish but you. I'm certainly excited to try it out

1 - 20 of 101 Posts