Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is going on at the RFRA. I have not heard anything in awhile.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Our reefs have really grown up over the summer. I hope to get a camera down there to share some pics at some point.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I have offered, and it still stands, to do a fund raising auction with the items that Flathead has, plus some items that I have. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who have some items that they would donate, or pay a commission to sell. I think we could raise quite a bit of money for the RFRA if we just wanted to.

·
Registered
363 Posts
barefootin (10/28/2009)I can't even find the website.

Whats up?

Their website is constantly down. Been up but mainly down for the past year. I told them a few times but doesn't seem to do any good. I wanted to find out some info as I was considering joining. Guess I'll have to use the phone and make a visit when I get time.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for the offers of help and fund raising.

Things got tight, then they got worse and it looks like we won't be in that building for too much longer. Few months at best.

The RFRA (while not dead) isn't what it was. It's still around and still a viable resource to work for anglers rights and be a voice for the local fishermen.

It's not however churning out reefs at the pace it once did -- or memberships. Attendance at the meetingsdwindled at the most critical time and the few core members that did the heavy lifting got tired and have let things lax, myself included. We've got other shit to do, to put it simply.

If you value your ability to fish, your children's future fishing rights, you're a member.

If you've taken a day off work to go fish, take one off for the next FWC/NMFS/Gulf Council meeting and let them know how you feel.

That's it, that's all I got.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Seems as if there are a lot of people who want to be involved, me for one, and I have some questions about the RFRA?

What can some people, who do have some time and resources, do to help?

What needs to be donefor the RFRA toremain in the building? Who owns the building? Rent & utilities - how much?

When are the meetings?

Does someone need to do something with the website?

Who is in charge and why is nothing happening?

Just curious...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I know a lot of blood sweat and time has been givin in support of the RFRA, and they have certainly have improved the fisheries habitat. I certainly applaud all the the association has done.

With all these posts going around about the fisheries mismanagement, I remember seeing someone suggest that the Rec fisherman should join one of the more sizable fisherman associations in order to have a bigger voice.

Someone even mentioned opening a chapter of one of the bigger associations here in Pensacola.

A stupid Run Dover question coming.

Could the RFRA merge in a time like this, with a bigger association?

It may be more enticing to join if potential members know they will be part of a LOUDER voice. Just saying. :hotsun

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It must be my fault....sorry guys......I finally got off my ass and sent in my membership check (even though I fish inshore 99.9% of the time). Someone must have thought "there goes the neighborhood"! JK, but it's a shame, they were doing some real good for all fisherman! I understand burnout.....a very few trying to carry the load for the very many. Been there, done that. Maybe after a little breather, and with some fresh blood (hint hint), it could be revived??????????

·
Banned
910 Posts
I would also like to apologize. Back when the big fight was going on I wasn't in a position to help. I didn't have the time nor the money. Now that I have both, I have been watching the forum and trying to check their website to see what was going on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts