Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to go to Dauphin Island again yesterday (my job just SUCKS doesn't it??....:poke). The Estuarium folks had another batch of baby red snapper for me to pick up for my research. I went solo this time, but did snap a few pix along the way:

The tide in Mobile Bay was LOW (I-10 bridge)

Coming over the bridge to Dauphin Island. As a student at the lab a "few" years back, we mucked around many of these mud flats:

Another photo of the mud flats- I think I netted up more finger-sized croaker and spot along these flats than I have anywhere else I've tried!

Rigs in Mobile Bay, on the east end of Dauphin Island, just north of Fort Gaines:

One of the real monarch butterflies pausing from the task of migration on some of the shore plants in the "baby marsh" outside of the Estuarium:

I didn't hang around in the Aquarium part of the facility for too long- I was on the road solo and was already tired so it was more of a "go-and-come-back" trip... but this is one thing that hasn't changed and I still find amusing.... On the east end of Dauphin Island there are 2 boat launches. There is also a boat launch in the mud flat area. Zoom in on the middle left part of this picture- it is the mud flat launch:

Here is what I went to Dauphin Island to get- 24 of this year's spawn of red snapper (some are hiding in the other corner):

Another shot of the livewell setup I put together- it's a pretty simple setup. I use the BIG cooler (150 quart?), fill with seawater, and run an extension cordfrom the cigarette lighter with a converter to the back of the van and plug in a Fluval internal filter. I used to use a bilge pump aerator connected to a car battery, but after several late-night runs to Mississippi to pick up fish, and battery failures and bilge pump clogs and praying that the fish would make it back to Pensacola on the oxygen they had left....... PLUS the fact that I can actually carbon-filter the water with the Fluval rather than just circulate it, this turned out to be the way to go. The fish do much better this way.

I posted a photo in my last Dauphin Island story of asingle babyred snapper- this fellow beats it. He's barely a few months old, and he's probably all of about 2-3 inches long!!! On the high-protein diet that I feed them, he won't be the "runt" for too long. I'm happy to say that all of the fish I picked up yesterday are doing just fine today, and this batch brings me almost to that magic number of fish that brings an end to this research project.

This little guy truly is a sight to behold:

·
Registered
414 Posts
The resolution is not high enough to read what the sign says in the mud flat area. Just curious as to what it says.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Best ramp around for a small boat ( 20 and under) when the wind is blowin. Min. 2 ft on a real low tide.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Do you study sharks too, and do you need an assistant? Thanx for the post and pics.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Looks like she could use an assistant Larry. To drive the car while she takes pictures:poke That one little feller does look like a baby lane though. Do baby red snapper look like lane when there born Karon?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Dang...what's the survival rate in the wild. Seems like that'd be a good little snack for pretty much everything down there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a close eye on that little guy- he is doing quite well so far. I've got a strong feeling that he is a little lane snapper, especially since the lab on Dauphin Island collects so many of them anyway...... I posted his picture because he is SO tiny, so small that some of his diagnostic characters are hard to see. If he is indeed a lane, then he'll go on display on campus.

As for shark stuff, 4 of my labmates (3 of whom have recently graduated) are shark people so I have been immersed in shark research by default....LOL....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts