Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that fish in and around the area of Eglin AFB may have noticed Restricted Area marker buoys have been placed in the water. These markers were placed along this area to provide a physical and visual demarcation of the waterway owned by Eglin per Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 33 part 334.700-748.

Nothing is going to change! People are still allowed to fish within these areas but they are subject to being checked by military law enforcement and security personnel. During high security threats to Eglin or Hurlburt Field these areas will be fully restricted and no one will be allowed in the areas. Below is the verbiage directly from the CFR.

"All persons, vessels and other craft are permitted access to the restricted area described in paragraph (a) of this section. Any person or vessel within the restricted area will be subject to identification checks by U.S. Air Force patrol boats. During times of high security threats against Eglin AFB, all entry, transit, anchoring or drifting within the restricted area described in paragraph (a) of this section for any reason is not allowed without the permission of the Commander, 96 Air Base Wing, Eglin AFB, and his/her authorized representative"

I can answer any questions that anyone may have.

·
Registered
701 Posts
This might be a stupid question and it might not be.. If I am in Eglin "waters" and am open/concealed carrying is that treated as the same as driving through the gate with a weapon?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be a stupid question and it might not be.. If I am in Eglin "waters" and am open/concealed carrying is that treated as the same as driving through the gate with a weapon?
No. I would compare it to driving through one of the reservations, instead of on main base Eglin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How would one know when there are "high security threats"? The automated announcement at every US airport has claimed we are under high security threat since 9/11.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DHS and DoD have seperate classifications and definitions of these threats. When Eglin or Hurlburt Field go into what DoD calls a higher FPCON, then the USAF marine unit will approach all vessels within the restricted areas and check who they are, their intent and then will inform the vessel of the FPCON change and that they must vacate the area. The USAF marine unit may not be able to give a timeline on how long this will last, but I'm pretty sure updates are usually given by NW Florida Daily news or the Eglin AFB public website and Facebook page.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts