Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a little while back someone had a poll for best Italian restaurant.I finally got around to trying Franco's last night and I was disappointed. I had the veal parmesan and though it to be no better than Olive Garden. My wife had baked grouper and loved it ( I had a taste and it was excellent). I never complain about price if I thoroughly enjoy a meal, but I will not go there again. Another popular Italian restraunt that did well in the poll was something like Tre's Frat????? (Three brothers). That will be my next Italian restaurant to try. I'm from Philly (30 years ago) and I know what GOOD Italian food is. Other than The Tuscan Oven for pizza, so far the best Italian I've had is the Olive Garden (how sad). Does anyone else have input?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Tres Frat. Is the best so far for me. They are from Italy. Barely speaka the English.

But good stuff. Good guys.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Agreed, Tre Fratelli is the best I've had around here.

It looks like there's a new place opening on Navy Blvd., where Brews Brothers used to be.

"Penelli's" or something like that. I don't know anything about them though.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
FelixH (10/8/2007)

It looks like there's a new place opening on Navy Blvd., where Brews Brothers used to be.

"Penelli's" or something like that. I don't know anything about them though.
Ya I noticed that too, we don't have many options on this side of town, so I'm looking forward to checking them out when they open.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
franco's is owned by the same people that own bubba's seafood, jake's steakhouse, doc's seafood and there maybe be a few more. can you say tourist trap.

BTW, where is tre fret??

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
felix, thanks for the reply but i don't know where dharma blue is either, i spend most of my time around OB. i'm familar with p'cola because i grew up there but not with those two places, like what part of town?

·
Registered
355 Posts
off route II (10/8/2007)felix, thanks for the reply but i don't know where dharma blue is either, i spend most of my time around OB. i'm familar with p'cola because i grew up there but not with those two places, like what part of town?
Dharma Blues - awesome sushi. Monday is $2 off

300 S Alcaniz St.right across from Seville Square

Tre Fratelli - never ate there but I hear good things.

Somethin like two doors to the south toward main st.

·
Registered
304 Posts
off route II (10/8/2007)franco's is owned by the same people that own bubba's seafood, jake's steakhouse, doc's seafood and there maybe be a few more. can you say tourist trap.

BTW, where is tre fret??
I think the Franco's he ate at was in P'cola on Gregory St., not the one in Orange Beach. The one in P'cola is run by "franco" that used to be at Marchello's right before NAS. No connection between the 2 Franco's locations that I know of.

Speaking of Penneli's, looks like its gonna be a really nice restaurant. Hope the food is as good as the building looks:hungry

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
bud,ysr, i stand corrected. there was a little italian place on the left just before you cross the NAS bridge that had the best meatball sandwich i ever ate but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned Carraba's. My wife and I love that place. Anyone remember the Italian Restaurant at the entrance to the Navy base that closed a few years ago. Now that was Italian food!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
The place on the left at the NAS entrance was Marchello's, I think that's the spelling. I would drive in From New Orleans about once a month, and that was my first stop every time....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes. That was Marchellos. The Franco's in Pensacola is evidently the red haired step child of Marchello's. There is some kind of story about stolen recipes and curses, but who knows. The food at Franco's is not as good as Marchello's was.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Besides thedressing - nothing taste as good at Francos as it did at Marchellos..

Maybe it was the retsaurant. There was a lot of ambiance ion that oldbuilding on the water.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it about the recipes. "Franco" is the guy with the wild mustache that runs the place and he used to be one of the top dogs at Marchellos. I wonder what ever happened to the place for it to close down after so many years of success?

I agree the food isn't as good at Franco's(but its not bad). The prices are a little high too.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
It looks like someone needs to talk to Franco, or whomever operates that business.

Ionce posted a bad experience I had with a local business and more than likely will never do it again, but I would suggest that anyone that knows the owner/operator of Franco's would let him know how some may view his/her business. I certainly would consider it valuable information to know some of the things mentioned above. I also support all consumers that voice their thoughts on how they are treated in by business of any type, as it is the Free Enterprise System at work and proof that the consumer can't be ignored, but I suggest caution if you are expressing your experience with a sporting goods dealer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts