Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine has recently finished restoring his boat and wanted to get out and give it a workout. still doesnt have a livewell and a few other little things need to be finished on the boat, but we decided to go for it.

Left the pass (destin) around 1000.since neither my friend nor his brother in law have much experience with saltwater fishing we decided to catch a few bonita for 'practice'. I guess now would be a good point to say that i am actually teaching my friend how to fish around here, from rigs and baits to trolling tips and how to gaff a fish:). put out a couple of lures an within 5 min have the first of many bonita on. after a few more bonita, my friend says he wants to head offshore a bit, but wants to troll all the way there. Just fine with me, i love being on the water. on the way out we passed over broken bottem and saw several mixed schools of bonita and blackfins, couldnt get the blackfins to eat anything:( also found a few spots on broken bottom that looked to be holding quality fish, one spot in particular was lit up in the classic christmas tree style (think red snapper). about 2 miles from the first waypoint, we slow way down and put out a stretch 25 and a stretch 40. 10 min after deploying the 25 starts singing. unfortunetly that stretch 40 was a pain in the *@(# to reel in and by the time we got it to the boat the fish came off the 25...i think that was our bft since he faught like a wahoo but didnt leave any teeth marks on the lure.

eventually we arrive at my numbers only to find nobody of note home. so start searching the area around it while trolling and just when we decide to come back inshore and fish a little shallower we find something. start catching mingos in the 2-3 lb range and send one down butterflied. as soon as chris (the brother in law) engages the reel the rod bows over!! the fight ended as soon as it started though becuase the fish got in the rocks almost immediatly. sent down another couple of mingos with no luck, and since i felt this was some1s private reef decided to leave instead of trying to kill everything on it. headed back in to the spot on broken bottem and this time actually picked up and ran back in.

when we get back to broken bottem, we find bonita breaking everywhere with some bft mixed in so out go the lures again. instead of bonita or bft though we came into some kings, and started catching them fairly quickly. put three in the box as the sun goes down, largest was around 15-20lbs. we thought about anchoring up and fishing for sharks, but instead decided to just go home since we were having problems with the starboard engine's fuel line getting clogged with real fine particles of grit.

end of day results: 3 keeper kings, 2 mingo snappers (caught about 8 keepers but used them for bait). not the best day catching but my friends learned alot and we made it home, which was the goal for the day, the fish will come next time:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice report Gmoney glad you got to take advantage of the better conditions we had that day. Would love to run into those bonito's and bft feeding. How far out the pass did you encounter the bonitos, bft and kings? If this wind would take a chill pill I will make a run out there sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
sounded like a fun day . Did you see any bft ? chunking is usally the way to go if you cant get them on the troll. GREAT JOB RECESS

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bft were over broken bottem which is roughly 4-6 miles out, not really sure where it 'begins' or 'ends'. During the summer this is one of the main places the charter fleet targets for kings and I overheard a captain saying he always sees blackfins there in sept/oct so i figured we'd give it a shot.

I did try chunking, and chumming, got the fish around the boat pretty good but still no takers:banghead I really wish we had had a livewell full of baits, I think we would have gotten a few takers on livebait. but thats the way it goes when you are fishing:)

on a side note, i consider 'chunking' to be using large chunks of fish, while chumming is using very small peices of bait; too small for a larger fish like a bft to eat but enough to get them interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts