Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have two Shimano Torsa 40 reels. One is filled with 60# braid that has been on there for about 8 years. There is no backing it is full of braided line..
The line seems to still be very strong, however since I no longer own a boat and fish mostly from charters. Most of the Charter captains do not like you to use braid when bottom fishing. It tends to tangle with the other fishermen frequently, and if it gets in the running gear it can burn up a cutlass bearing.

I hate to trash this expensive line..
Thought about putting a bolt through an old line spool..
Any ideas?.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Find a friend that wants it, tie it to his reel and reel it straight off of yours. He gets to use the fresh line that's been hidden away from the sun and elements for years!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chopsticks from a Chinese restaurant works great in a drill for removing any old line !
It will work but a water bottle with a 3” diameter will strip line a lot faster than a skinny little chopstick.

If you’re worried about the cost of braid check out kastking. Cheapest brand out there and I’ve only heard good reviews

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Maybe check with Outcast or other tackle shops and see if they have some empty spools then use a bolt and but throughout the middle. Chuck it in your drill and spool it up. Seems that would make using the line later much easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts