Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Important information for deer hunters

Beginning this hunting season, which starts Aug. 3 in Zone A, new rules take effect requiring hunters to record all harvested deer in a harvest log and report the harvest to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) harvest reporting system.

Hunters can use FWC’s harvest reporting app to comply with the requirement to log their harvest information before moving a deer from the point of harvest. The app also enables hunters to report harvested deer to the FWC, which must be done prior to 1) final processing of the deer, 2) the deer or any parts of the deer being transferred to any meat processor or taxidermist, or 3) the deer leaving the state. Hunters also can log harvested deer on a paper harvest log and then report the harvest to the FWC via the app or by calling the FWC’s toll-free deer reporting hotline. More details about how to log and report harvested deer are coming soon!

These harvest logging and reporting requirements impact all deer hunters including: 1) hunters under 16 years of age, 2) resident hunters 65 years and older, 3) those with a disability license, 4) military personnel, and 5) those hunting on their homestead in their county of residence.

For more information about new statewide hunting rules, including many dealing with deer hunting, visit MyFWC.com.

Get the latest hunting and conservation news by subscribing to FWC's Hunting Hot Sheet newsletter and Outta' the Woods.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
How do you report before you move the deer if you don't have a smartphone? Or if you do have a smartphone, but no service?
I believe it's going to be like Bama where you have a paper record log that you write the harvest date on and antler size (if applicable) before you move you the deer, then report it within a certain time frame of harvest. I think the app is just an option.

·
Super Moderator
28,504 Posts
Yeah in KY they have the same rule that you are suppose to call in the kill before moving it...not that it happens. They just wanna make it sound pretty strict then throw in the log so it looks like they are doing you a favor...

All about folks that have no clue about deer hunting or management controlling the rules... Land and water it's all the same...

·
Registered
320 Posts
The app I use in Alabama will work off line when you don’t have cell service and as soon as your phone receives cell service again it updates the kill information. So as much as a lot of hunters aren’t going to comply with the new laws or rules those hunters will be the same ones that are fined for none compliance. Just the times are changing so I myself have no problems abiding by the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Wish they would stop putting limits on stuff and stop trying to make rules. Just let us kill what we want when we want. It would be much easier. Only honest folks are gonna use the reporting system. Heck all the antler restrictions did was make folks leave the little deer in the woods. Found plenty of short antlers laying in the bushes during turkey season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Alabama is getting better but they still have not brought in the processors like Arkansas. Nothing is full proof and the boys of FL will surely find ways around any system put in place. Arkansas incorported regulation for processors to log harvest numbers for each deer processed. It actually increased the number of depreditation tags we got each year becasue we were not meeting the minimum kill quotas.
I still do not hunt in FL because of all the limitations while handing out 1000s of depreditation tags to farmers.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How do you report before you move the deer if you don't have a smartphone? Or if you do have a smartphone, but no service?

Don’t make it harder than it has to be. They aren’t going to ticket you if you have to go online at home or on the land line. Just record the information and take care of it when you get home.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I think it’s dumb, and going to be a pain in the azz. The are wanting accurate data to manage the herd, only way to do that will be implementing a tag system, anything else is a waste of time.

It’ll work fine if people do what they are supposed to do and follow the guidelines.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wish they would stop putting limits on stuff and stop trying to make rules. Just let us kill what we want when we want. It would be much easier. Only honest folks are gonna use the reporting system. Heck all the antler restrictions did was make folks leave the little deer in the woods. Found plenty of short antlers laying in the bushes during turkey season.

It’s called integrity. Most people have very little of it. But it’s still the right way to go. By the way, how is that “kill anything you want” strategy gonna help. That strategy is why we have regulations in the first place.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think its stupid to have a system like this in place but still give out depredation permits.
And have restrictions on how/when coyotes can be hunted and trapped. Coyotes on my lease harvest a lot more deer than we do and don't report a doggone one of 'em.

Reactions: Bodupp and Payatot

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You're correct on that but to snare them you must purchase a furbearer trapping license and getting a depredation permit to steel trap them because they're eating your deer is not happening. It should be legal to kill them any time, anywhere, by any means.

Reactions: Payatot

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
You're correct on that but to snare them you must purchase a furbearer trapping license and getting a depredation permit to steel trap them because they're eating your deer is not happening. It should be legal to kill them any time, anywhere, by any means.
Plant a food plot in watermelons. Now you are farming and they are eating your crop. Worth a try

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Worth a try but I wouldn't bet my last watermelon seed on it. If you've got beavers eating pine trees a permit is issued almost automatically. If you're a timber company who makes almost as much off deer hunting as you do pine trees and the 'yotes are eating that part of your profit up, forget it. More FWC politics.

Reactions: fisherhunter
1 - 20 of 47 Posts