Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Remember the Tar balls?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  wld1985 
#1 ·
Does anyone remember the Tar balls on the beach during the late 60s and 70s? They were jet black, almost perfectly round, and the size of a golf ball. It was impossible to walk the beach without one squishing thru your toes. If I remember correctly, we were told it was a natural seepage from the gulf floor, but it later turned out to be from ballast water dumped from tankers. Do I remember that correctly?

Shipoke

#2 ·
That was before I moved here, but I just got off the phone with a friend of mine and we were talking about billfishing back in the early 90's and there were tar balls from the 29 edge on out and when we pulled our lures in they were covered with brown oil. We tried all kinds of cleaners, nothing worked and we had to throw them all away. This lasted for about 3 weeks and was gone.

#3 ·
if you really want to be surprised google natural hydrocarbon seepage and see how much there is world wide... remember that the oil that is leaking is a natural substance. until it is refined altering its "natural state"....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.