Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey am planning on getting an offshore boat in the next few weeks and wanted to see what everyone's opinion on a good multi use reel/rod would be.....

Looking to jig alittle off the bottom, throw out some baits for shark and maybe troll once in awhile!

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Any preference on brands, style, or your budget? We use a variety of reels depending on the trip.
I have a couple of the Penn Spinfisher V 8500 that we have used for jigging, and drifting & pitching baits. I also like the Penn Squall serise reels. Well made, light, and less expensive than the Internationals!
We also have a couple of the Shimano TeKotas (level wind conv reels) we use around here for lite trolling and some bottom fishing. My 30 TLD has been handy with fishing for bottom fishing, Tuna, Sharks, and we have also utilized it trolling.
We also have a couple Tiagras we usually break out for our hard core fishing trips to the keys- Lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tld 20-25 with 50lb mono on a trevala can troll, jig, or bottom fish reasonably well. Working on moving the trevala to a reel with braid and a trolling rod for the tld but was really happy with it as a first combo and have landed kings, spanish, amberjack, snapper and trigger on it with no issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey brand I prefer is penn. I was thinking maybe like a 6/0 or 9/0......but not sure how well those would would for jiging.....I know I could static bottom fish with them....not sure on trolling but did not see why not as I used to own a 6/0.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Not really a multi purpose set up , you will need several in my option to be effective . To many thing change out there and too many different fish to go for

·
eating tasty
3,803 Posts
A penn 6/0 or 9/0 is not going to be very well suited for jogging at all. Too heavy, too slow. I know you like Penn, I'm a shimano an myself and a talica 2 speed of even a tyrnos will do what you want. Lots of smaller, lighter reels with big strong drags out there that can do all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
The old senators are kinda old school, but they will do the job if you already have them. But like it has been said, they are kinda slow. If you are looking at having to buy reels- I'd probably suggest looking at the Squall serise if you want to stay with Penn.
Also, anyone who has been fishing the GOM very long will agree, you're going to end up with a few different setups on the boat if you are doing any real fishing. For example, we have "The Twins" (Penn SF 8500) featured in a lot of our videos we use for drifting, pitching, and even some jigging. We have Cookies TeKotas 700 & 800 for general lite trolling and she uses one for bottom fishing during snapper season. The TLD 30 for heavier trolling and "just in case" we need something heavier for bottom fishing. We usually have 2 or 3 5000 series spinning rods for spanish mackerel, Bonita, and sabikis. And there is the Squall 50 for Wahoo trolling and the big stuff. In the spring, I will often carry a Cobia setup. And when we head to the keys we will unpack the Tiagras. I have my old 9/0 for the drege and I use it to drop the GoPro diver down.
I guess the idea is to have a couple general purpose setups- spin and conventional, and maybe one or two specialty Rod/reels ready to throw if that opportunity arises where you won't have time to re-rig one. We started with a couple basics at first and worked our way up!
I hope this was helpful- good luck.
Mike

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
While I agree you should have multiple setups, the best all-around reel for under 200 bucks is without a doubt the TLD 25. It may not be optimal for everything, but it can do everything from light trolling for mackerel, jigging for blackfin, bottom fishing or live baiting Tuna.

Match it with a medium action standup rod and you'll be set. Once you see the holes though, you'll start buying other setups and round out the arsenal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts