Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get into the offshore trolling game this season targeting wahoo, dolphin, smaller tuna, bill fish and such and need a couple of versitile combinations that I can troll and bottom fish with.I'mfocusing on the Shimano TLD reels and would like some feedback. What size do yourecommend? A TLD 15? A TLD 20? A TLD 25?And what line sizeand type would you spool it with?

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
The TLD series is IMO one of the best series of reels ever made. They have a great drag, are very light and last forever if taken care of. From what it sounds like you plan on doing I would go ahead and get the TLD-25's. They aren't too heavy to bottom fish with and boast enough capacity to tackle most trolling species including blue marlin. I would fill them with 40lb Momoi hi-catch. Its very strong, super thin and has less memory. You will get about 500-515yds which is plenty.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
With the ratio of marlin vs ? do you think you need anything else when your just rigging up? Oh yea, AC and a big comfy SALON. TLD's will catch just about anything.

Skip

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Nothing personal but I'm pretty sure a 300 lb Marlin will blow the guts out of a TLD 25. I'd have to say that the TLD 25 would be great trolling for Spanish and Kings but I would recommend the TLD 30A as an entry level reel for Wahoo and Marlin at the minimum. There is a world of difference between the two especially the drag. The last thing this guy wants to do when getting into blue water trolling is for him to go to all the expense of gearing up, fuel and he gets out there and finds he took a peashooter to a gunfight.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the TLD 25 is a good start and one can always upgrade if huge fish are the order of the day. I cannot speak to the 300 pound marlin, but I have handled many wahoo on the TLD 25.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might also want to look at the tyrnos 30. This reel is a good value, would give you a little more capacity, and is an overall better reel imho... you can go with the single or two speed which the "low" might help with those pesky grouper/endagered sow snapperin wrecks etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts