Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading good things about the trevala for jigging/dropping bait, I decided to pick up the 6'6 50-100lb rod for a good deal in a cyber monday sale. What would be a good reel to pair with this bad boy?

Alternatively, I've got an Avet sx on a tiger stik as one of my trolling set ups which I might be able to put on the trevala and then just pick up a different trolling reel. What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Avet's are great for a lot of things but they're annoying for jigging because they don't have instant anti-reverse. Although, I may just be spoiled by my gold Trinidads!

An Avet MX may be a good choice to look at. I haven't used the Release reels yet, heard good things so far. Also, Accurate reels are great but pricey.

If you can find any gold Trinidads on the used market, jump on em!

Good luck!
Alex

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,030 Posts
I use the Trinidad's, the larger Avets, and the Atlas Kona 400. The release reel has a thrust bearing that allows the higher drag setting without loading the right side bearing making the handle harder to turn when the drag it set higher. If you tighten the drag too much on the smaller Avet's it will ruin the right side pinion bearing. 15 lbs. of drag is about the max on the little Avet's. Release reels have an excellent warranty.

The Atlas Kona can be had with the AR bearing and back up anti-reverse dog. for a fool proof system. The Trinidad's have always had that system b/c their AR bearing fails allot.

With a 50 to 100 lb. rod 20 lbs. of drag will have that rod bent double or could even break it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Avet good

After reading good things about the trevala for jigging/dropping bait, I decided to pick up the 6'6 50-100lb rod for a good deal in a cyber monday sale. What would be a good reel to pair with this bad boy?

Alternatively, I've got an Avet sx on a tiger stik as one of my trolling set ups which I might be able to put on the trevala and then just pick up a different trolling reel. What would you guys suggest?
I have been using my Avet Sx on same rod for bottom fishing. That rod is nice and light and with the little reel it's great to hold for long periods if needed. Got it from Charkbait for about 150 included shipping and loaded with braid. I think in a kayak you can only safely use a certain amount of drag anyway unless your in a pro angler. I think for the money it's a good enough reel for me. For more money though of course you can do better. I'm on a budget thus I look for what I can afford that can do the job.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
I have that rod matched up with a Daiwa Saltist LD20. It's small but its light and powerful. LD30 would be fine too. The drag adjust knob seems to back off during a day of fishing and the lever isn't always smooth through the detents, but the reel is a winch and I've caught tons of huge fish/sharks on it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heard nothing but good things about those release reels but they're pretty steep on price for me. I found a site that has the daiwa saltist's on sale for significantly cheaper than list price. I like my avet a lot so an MX would be nice. Any other input on these two reels or other reels out there?

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,030 Posts
If you can afford one of the 2 speed Avets you would have a reel that could pull up heavy fish in low gear and use high gear for trolling. And the old basic TLD 15 is a great Kayak trolling reel.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit the bullet and ended up going with the release reel. Figured I wouldn't regret it too much. I opted to spool it with 450 yds of 50# braid. Not sure if I will ever need that much but if it holds more than that why not. What have ya'll with this reel spooled it with?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bit the bullet and ended up going with the release reel. Figured I wouldn't regret it too much. I opted to spool it with 450 yds of 50# braid. Not sure if I will ever need that much but if it holds more than that why not. What have ya'll with this reel spooled it with?
Yeah, you don't regret it. It's a reel for life.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Accurate(s) matched w my Trevala(s).

Very light and powerful - lots of Drag to stop those 20# snapper from reaching the bottom 10' down. Good job on getting the 100# Trevala.

ALso a good trolling setup for BFT with a jethead. Monkey boat rod for AJ's. Will have to look into the SG's in 10-15 years when my Accurates get old.

I don't think you could go worng with any of the suggestions. +1 Charkbait - also they will load with Jerrybrown hollowcore.

Cheers,
Stressless

·
Registered
332 Posts
+1 On the Daiwa Saltist LD20. It's light and compact, but it has plenty of drag and a high speed retrieve. I bought it at the Spring Outcast sale for $120'ish I think.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,030 Posts
I've had to repair a few of the Daiwa Saltist anti-reverse. Some of them have only one very little anti-reverse dog.

No problems with any of the other reels anti-reverse systems on other similar reels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts