Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate are these numbers? I have two reels that look about the same size, but here's what's wierd:

@ 10 lb mono, reel (a) holds more than reel (b)
@ 12 lb mono, reel (b) holds more than reel (a)

seems like these numbers are thrown out there a little haphazardly.

Second question, how accurate are the line retrieval specifications? Can they be used to fill a spool and get a good full spool?

The reason I am asking is that I bought 300 yds of 30 lbs braid (~$10 direct from China off ebay...I'll post my opinions on it once I use it). I want to fill two reels with it for 150 yds each. I figured that on one reel it would take me about 63 cranks of mono backing followed by about 158 cranks of braid to fill the spool to the specified capacity. Will using that method get me good results (i.e. full to the lip), and will it divide my spool evenly between the two reels?

Hope I'm being clear enough.
Thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Braid is smaller diameter than mono of the same weight. Any reel will hold more braid than mono.

Your options are to spool on more braid, or upsize the braid to 15/20lb.

Not knowing what reel you have makes giving you any info on amount of braid it will hold and how much line is taken up per crank pretty impossible.

Post the reel make and size and you can get your answer or go to the manufacturer website or google the reel specs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just asking in general terms. The capacities are printed on the spool in both mono and in terms of thousandths of an inch. I also have line retrieval numbers from the website.

I don't have the specs in front of me but something along the lines of my Daiwa reel holds 250 yds of 8 lb and 200 yds of 10 lb. The Penn holds 240 yds of 8 and 210 of 10. If the Daiwa holds more 8 lb mono than the Penn, shouldn't it also hold more 10 lb?

Also in terms of line retrieval, as you wind on line, the diameter of the spool increases. So the line retrieval per revolution increases. Is the number stated by the manufacturer an average, or is it based on an empty or full spool?

Hope this helps clarify things.

·
Registered
566 Posts
manufactures use different brand lines, and most lines have different diameter. Brand a will be smaller than brand b in 10lb but larger diameter in 12lb. Also most reel makers lie a little to seem more impressive. Also, the best way to spool any line (especially braid) is to take it to your favorite tackle shop and have them do it on a line winder to get it tight or it will dig in on itself and break when the spool cant turn under drag. Good luck, let us know how your "china" braid works out for you.

John at reel fun/tight lines knows his line sizes and can pretty much nail the ammount of mono to spool on it before filling it to the top with braid.
Also might want to check Linecasters in Milton, not sure if he has a line winder yet, but he said a while back he was planning to get one.

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMO there are so many variables here, it is not worth worrying about. As said, spools wind on more line the fuller they get, line diameter can vary by manufacturer, etc. I would just try to fill the spool 1/3-1/2 with mono and then add the braid.

Taking reels in to a shop is the best way, but also not necessary even with braid. Just make sure you put on the braid with pressure so that it goes on tight. If you put braid on loose, it will bite into itself very easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts