Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in PCB,it is absolutely awful.I cannot remember it ever

being this bad.Everything from mullet to redfish are dead.

Millions of dead fish are washed up on every beach.

Last years was bad but nothing like this.:banghead

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Remember the one two or three years ago, two I think. Hurricane Wilma was involved.

Wife and I went to Mexico Beach for our anniversary and there were at least 5 dead bull reds on our front step (waterfront house) when we got there and 35 by the time we left.

Despite the horrid eye burn, bleeding lungs and shark bait all around, that was some great surf from that storm.

Latest from FWC red tide report:

Northwest Region: Multiple reports of fish kills and respiratory irritation associated with Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism have been received this week from portions of Walton and Bay counties in northwest Florida. However, alongshore sampling conducted between Escambia and Bay counties has detected little or no K. brevis suggesting that the current bloom, while present, remains slightly offshore. Very low concentrations were detected at Destin Pass and background concentrations were detected near Miramar Beach (Walton County). All other samples, including those collected in and around St. Andrews and Choctawhatchee bays, contained no K. brevis. Offshore samples collected south of Shell Point (Wakulla County) also contained no K. brevis. Respiratory irritation remains possible in areas with above background concentrations of K. brevis and fish kills are possible at concentrations above LOWb.

It's coming.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya Joe.Sea turtles have been found dead on Shell Island so far.

The stench is off the scale and I live 2 blocks from the lagoon.

I saw a walton county guide and client gassing up the skiff

a little while ago and heading for west bay.They are in for

a nasty trip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just Great:banghead

Meanwhile, the wind continues to howl from the east:doh

I wonder if the front coming down this week and the North winds will keep the bloom away?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For y'alls sake I sure hope not.It originated from the west and has really taken off.

Sat. I went to the lagoon and saw wads of bait.Sunday,everything was dead.

I had one of my best trout trips in recent memory last week.Hopefully the ICW will be o.k.:angel

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm sure it's the republicans fault somehow. :poke

Seriously though, what makes some fish survive and others die?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fished out of Destin on Sun. & it was pretty bad. Not one bite & a bunch of dead fish from the bridge rubble on out to 5 miles (To rough for us to go any further) Saw a deadRed Snapper about 22 inches in the mix. The pass seems to be ok as we caught plenty of Cigs. & Herring.Pretty bad when the Gulls are picking up dead fish & dropping them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
We were heading to PC this past weekend to fish a kayak tourney, but after reading a report about the red tide on another forum, we decided not to go. Sounds like we made the right decision

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have heard from two individuals who have talked withe state biologists and they say that a rapid lowering of water temps is needed SOON or this mess might last until Nov, Dec or even Jan. No indication as to the amount of temp reduction needed but hopefully the lower temps predicted for later on this week will help. Bay fishing over there was just getting good. :doh

Capt Joe

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
I went offshore yesterday (Tuesday) there were large spots of red tide in several areas. No dead fish on the bottom (except on my stringer) and with the North wind hopefully it will blow offshore.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was in Mexico Beach that yr....it was November of '05. I walked down to that little inlet in the fog one morning. It messed me up REAL bad. For the next week, I went thru periods of the worse cough I've ever had. My eyes were real fked up...I remember actually having to pry them open one morning....all this yellow gook. Finally went to the doc and he put me on a steroid dosepak. I don't know whether i'm allergic to red tide or what, but that definitely made an impression on me.

I'm going a little offshore today and will look for it. If it moves in here,I won't be getting out in it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We fished Port St Joe Bay this week and saw dead pinfish, pig fish and croakers pretty much all across the bay from the city launch ramp to the west side. No dead fish so far in the flats on the south end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts