Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had to work, so I went solo this morning to the Choctawachee River area for the first time for a little change. Got some tips on boats ramps from other members of the forum..Thanks!

I printed out a few maps and took them with me. Launched to boat at about 8am and head out on a search for some good looking water. Started by throwing a Redfish Magic spinner bait around the grass shoreline. After 20 minutes, fish on, good fish. I didn't measure, but I would guess in the 25 to 27" range.

I kept working along the way I was before and started to go through some really shallow water. I saw a little movement up ahead and put a hold on the trolling motor. I drifted up a little closer a slowly put the anchor into about a foot of water. I through a couple of times and worked it real slow and got a hit...smaller fish...comes off half way to the boat. I threw a couple more times and nothing, but was still seeing some water movement.

Took out the shrimp and jig head technique I learned in Jacksonville. Within a couple of minutes I was hooked up with the second fish of the day. A lot smaller, but I'm thinking in the 15 to 17" range.

I stayed with those fish for a while. It was a pretty big school of smaller fish, but there were some bigger ones mixed in. I caught two more and a nice trout. Only got a pick of one of two reds. I was trying the keep them in the water and the other fish put the move on me and got out of my hand.

The school seemed to be a little spoked by the 4th fish caught and kind of shut down on me. So I moved on and kept working as before, but switched to a gold spoon so I could work it a little slower without pulling up a bunch of muck from the bottom. I made a cast out away from the back in the mud flat area and got hung up, but then the hang up started swimming away from me. Nice fish, I'm thinking a solid 27"

I think I could have kept catching them their, but with it being my first time out there I was anxious to see what was around the next bend. I fished about another hour and headed home. I'm going back tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a little better pics since I'll have someone to go with me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks. Yeah, I was fishing between the big creek mouths. I tried a littleeverywhere, but seemed to have the best luck around the shorter grass, nothing around the bamboo type reeds. I saw a lot more fish in the muddy areas. It was very similar to the red fishing I did on the East Coast.Fun to finally see some reds again. I've only caught a hand full since moving back here.

I did go out to West Bay, but the day I went was real windy. I thought I could still fish it because it was a NW wind, but it was blowing to hard to do much of anything. I ended up in the ICW catching dink trout all day. Wish I had the super ultra lite on the boat that day.

·
Registered
848 Posts
PaleRed! Nice post! Looks "crazy good" whereYOU were! Your photos were perfect for an excellent report, showing the habitat and describing the catch so well!

Good report. These are the kind ofposts we're all looking for, informative and with great photos. First Class.

THANKS!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fished the river for the 1st time today. I didnt know how far in to go. I started at the mouth of one channel and ended up in the middle where the river canals connect. I didnt get a bite, the water was running out, very muddy, their were a few boats around me, none seem to be pulling in any fish. I was using soft plastic gulp mullet and otrher gulp products. How far in do you need to go and is better to fish the banks or the middle of the river channels?

Their were some gar rolling around but i didnt see any signs of reds or trout.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stock05 (1/13/2008) How far in do you need to go and is better to fish the banks or the middle of the river channels?
I caught every fish in less that 2' of water in areas that had muddy bottoms. I don't know how far you would have to run up the creeks to catch trout, but I tried it yesterday (1/13/08) and didn't do any good. I was talking to someone that fishes out there alot and he was telling me to try going East up the ICW and fish the rock pile for nice trout with reds mixed in.

I went backSunday (1/13) with a buddy and saw some fish, but they weren't eating like they were on Saturday. Fished hard for about 4 hours and only came up with two smaller fish.

My friend's fish.

My fish.

I think it will be a little easier to see the fish on a lower tide. I could see them come over the tops of the shallower bars and then disappear into the deeper water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for the info. I probably passed you on Sunday. I was fishing alone on an 18ft hewes. Anyways, at least you caught something. I didnt even get a nibble. I am going to try again on Saturday.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fish definately seemed lock jawed on Sunday. I haven't figured out how the pressure (atmospheric, not fishing pressure) affects fish, but the only difference between Saturday and Sundayseemed to bethe pressure and a little wind direction change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts