Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been losing big redfish off my jighead and grub and a suspending lure with three hooks. I lost 3 consecutively this past weekend. I had on an 1/8 oz doa jig head brand new. What can be going on? I typically troll in my kayak and keep a pretty loose drag. I use braid with a small leader. If i have a red on ill usually tighten the drag slightly but not too much so i dont horse them in. Thanks

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Chaps throw those doa jig heads away!! No really the doa jig heads have a short shank so it's harder to bury it in there jaw. I personally use a slayer predator xxx jig head it is longer shank and a much better quality hook in a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. The suspending bait I don't know I lose a few on my mirodine due to the smaller hooks but that's expected.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Longer shank jig heads, and add a split ring between the bait and the hook on the suspending baits. Doing this increases the range of motion that the hook has before it can act as a fulcrum and pull out of a fish's mouth.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts:

I have a tendency to wait to long to replace my hooks. Sharp hooks will set better than ones that loose their edge.

I ususally don't have a problem with reds getting off, but specks are another matter. They often slap at the bait without really taking it into their mouths. I caught a nice one last Friday. He slapped at it but the hook did not set. I threw the lure out again (top water) and he slapped at it again. I stopped realing it in and he slapped at it again. The thrid time I hung him in the side of the face and landed it. My experiance with reds is they try to eat the lure and usually I will bring him in.

I also usually use braided line tied directly to the lure. There is little or no stretch with braid and the hook sets better. I may not be getting as many strikes as I would if I used a leader, especiallhy in clear water, but to the best of my memory I only had one fish get off the hook this past year that I knew for sure it was a red.

Greg

·
Registered
163 Posts
You said when you are trolling in your kayak you leave your drag loose. I have left my drag too loose and the hooks do not get a good bite. Just a little slack and he is gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts