Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the area. Went to 3 mile for the first time last Friday night. Caught two reds and several white trout within two hours. Lost a couple big fish too. Had something big on bottom. I went to check my pole and thought I had a rock. Started pulling it up and nothing happened until the third hard tug. What ever it was started to slowly pull 80 pound braided line like it was nothing and wrapped me around a rock. I am thinking it was a large nurse shark because it didn't fight me...just slowly swam away. Thanks for so many people posting updates and giving advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the welcome:letsdrink:nonono. I am a newcomer to the area and redfishing, but notnfishing. I miss my Sarasota snook:reallycrying

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Welcome......... and thanks for the awesome report. May have been a big ray. Sometimes they will just swim away with everything; it feels like dead weight when you get it coming to you, and then it turns and you think your reel is busted.:banghead But, lots of fun and excitement fighting them.

I hooked into one in the Sound this past spring - looked like a 8 ft wing span. I don't know what I would have done if I had got him alongside the boat. Good thing my reel needed new line, cause he took it all.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I agree with fish4reel, I've seen some monster rays around that area! I'm talking 6' wing span. Saw one come in about 5 feet of water and had 3 reds under him.......AWESOME!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome, Were they slot reds? We got two last week. I think there are some large grouper around the bridge rubble. I havent caught one yet but have had similar expieriences. I did see a very large Red snapper follow a white trout to the boat. There are also large sharks around. If your fishing and the bite drops off put the big rod out . Sometimes the sharks move in and away go the trout.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ray theory makes sense. I will be back this weekend with more line and plotting my revenge. We had one slot red...it fed six of us! I will hopefully be giving a 3 mile report this weekend. I want to fish it a while to know it well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice report. I have had pretty good luck out there lately too. Where you guys using artificial or fresh bait. I haven't tried it at night yet, definitely something to consider.

Cub Fan,

I agree with the grouper theory. I hooked something the other day that didn't move much at all, just shook its head and then snapped the line like it was nothing. I caught a juvi gag a few weeks ago around the bumpers.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts