Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and I hit choctawhatchee bay, east of 331, made a long run across a pretty choppy bay, especially for the bass tracker early in the morning. All fish caught on Berkley Gulp Camo Color, neon yellow jighead. Tried topwater early, caught some small trout, bite didn't turn on until about 8:30.

First picture is of a fish I have ever seen before, I know somebody here knows what it is.

Second picture is of our four redfish, biggest being 26 inches, smallest at 23 1/2 inches.

Not pictured: Managed two keeper trout and a couple of bluefish.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys! Bigger reds are def moving in the bays, love this time of the year! Fish were caught on a heavy wind blown bank, reds were right next to the bank in about two foot of water on a flat.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Thanks so much guys! Bigger reds are def moving in the bays, love this time of the year! Fish were caught on a heavy wind blown bank, reds were right next to the bank in about two foot of water on a flat.
Good for you. :thumbup: Disappointing for us. :( We camped at Rocky Bayou this weekend and brought the boat. We drifted north with the wind along the flats between Niceville and the mid-bay bridge.

Fresh off a very instructional inshore charter, I applied all my new techniques, but it was too windy, and the kids were frustrated trying to cast in the wind. One puffer fish in two days.

I wish I could have gotten in closer to shore like you, but my deep V-hull I/O draws about 18". We were in about 3' of water the whole time.

·
Perdido Key Fisherman
10 Posts
Up here in Chessepeake Bay that is called a Toad Fish, they are really slimy and have powerful jaws used for eating oysters. We commonly catch them bottom fishing on Oyster beds.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good for you. :thumbup: Disappointing for us. :( We camped at Rocky Bayou this weekend and brought the boat. We drifted north with the wind along the flats between Niceville and the mid-bay bridge.

Fresh off a very instructional inshore charter, I applied all my new techniques, but it was too windy, and the kids were frustrated trying to cast in the wind. One puffer fish in two days.

I wish I could have gotten in closer to shore like you, but my deep V-hull I/O draws about 18". We were in about 3' of water the whole time.
If you ever go back there is house on the east side of 393 on the north side. First house on the other side of the bridge just past the entrance for lake pippen. We have stayed there many times (it is a rental) and caught stupid numbers of red fish off the dock. There must be a hole or something off the dock. I have never been there with a boat, but im sure it would be the same.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If you ever go back there is house on the east side of 393 on the north side. First house on the other side of the bridge just past the entrance for lake pippen. We have stayed there many times (it is a rental) and caught stupid numbers of red fish off the dock. There must be a hole or something off the dock. I have never been there with a boat, but im sure it would be the same.
Google Earth shows 293. Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the tip. I'm stupid when it comes to fishing, so I need a stupid spot to catch stupid numbers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Up here in Chessepeake Bay that is called a Toad Fish, they are really slimy and have powerful jaws used for eating oysters. We commonly catch them bottom fishing on Oyster beds.
Fail. Sea Robin as others have pointed out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts