Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that nearly every redfish I have caught in one of the areas I fish has more than one spot. Is it just coincidence?

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's because thats where they dumped all that nuclear waste. You know like the Bart Simpson Fish, the one with 3 eyes!

Ted

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I always wondered about redfish spots myself. You see pics from time to time of redfish that supposedly mated with speckled trout and they have a ton of spots, but I don't think that is actually the case. I believe the spot on a red's tail evolved as a way to fool predators and make the fish's tail look like its head- as if the spot was an eye. Someone once told me the multi spotted reds were of a certain sex- male or female I can't recall, and doubt it's true anyway. It's probably just a genetic thing- no rhyme or reason. Someone smarter than I am about fish biology will have to handle this question.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its my understanding that it is purely genetic as far as how many spots etc. I just think it is strange that in certain areas nearly every fish i catch has multiple spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts