Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I busted a couple of my rod tips off over the weekend and now I have an excuse to buy the rods I should have bought in the first place. I am looking fortwo 7 to 7.5 ft spinning rods, 8-15lb class. Cost per rod I would like to be around $100.00 or less. Do any of you have good recommendations? Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

·
Registered
610 Posts
Brad K (9/25/2008)St. Croix - Tidemaster series........I fish them in a 6'6" Med/light. Fantastic rods for the price. I beleive I spent right at $100. They are on the the lower end of their rods. But worth every penny in my opinion!!!!!!!!

I have 3 and the all are my favorite. I have caught just about everyfish (except bills) on them. My favorite is the Avid, it has a little more back bone. All of them are great rods.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i would also check out the e 21 carrot stick. i love mine! little more than 100 but they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Brad K (9/25/2008)St. Croix - Tidemaster series........I fish them in a 6'6" Med/light. Fantastic rods for the price. I beleive I spent right at $100. They are on the the lower end of their rods. But worth every penny in my opinion!!!!!!!!
The St Croix Tidemaster 1-piece rods list for between $120-$180.......I have 5 Tidemasters, 1 Premier and 1 Surf Rod. I just picked up a 7'-6" 10#-20# MHF "closeout" at Woods and Water in Tuscaloosa for $70 last Friday. They are great rods and I just love them.

I think one of the best rods for the money may be the Shimano Teramar Inshore SE $99-$109 and tough as heck!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Maybe I'm just cheap, but for years, (and I mean decades) I have fished with Ugly Sticks. I have only broke one that wasn't truly my fault and they replaced it without a question. I have never had one fail me. And the few that my kids lose overboard didn't leave me in tears, it was losing the reels that made me cry.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
....on the st, croix, I have two broken ones...bought one at GBBT a while back. The other one on line....my question is about the warranty on this rods. I knew g loomis has an expeditor program....50 bucks will get u a new rod regardeless...but how about st croix>? any one with any experiences with their warranty department?... Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like light action Shimano rods...I'd list the ones I have, but they have such wierd names I can't remember...I think Clarus is one. I bought several at one of the Outcast sales for about $30-$50 each. LOVE THEM.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It depends on the rod and how old it is but they have a similar program for some rods......you need to always register your St Croix rods when you buy them or they use the manufacture date for warranty claims.

Here is the link to the warranty page on thier website......they even have a tradeup program where you can pay the difference and"trade-up" fora better rod.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/content.asp?id=14&section=about

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
St. Croix's are great rods and I have a couple, but if you fish them enough you are going to break one. I've broke a couple but still love them. My favorite inshore production rod is the shimano calcutta. A little more than 100 but well worth it IMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Shimano Crucial it was around 120$ i think and it was worth the money and i also have 2 St.Croix Premiers and an Avid and they are great to

·
Registered
95 Posts
My favorite redfish rod is my All Star Platinum @ $150, but I got it on sale for $99. As soon as I get a chance (i.e. the $$) I'm going to buy another one - hoping for another sale!

All Star hasan Inshore line that runs around $100 at Academy, looks a feels pretty good.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Brant Peacher (9/30/2008)Shimano Calcutta. Fenwick, or st croix. You cant go wrong with any of them. Since you do alot of redfishing you need something 7ft or better. You want to be able to make the farthest cast possible when pushing around on the flats.
I concur.I fish St.Croix and really recommend the TIS80MF Tidemaster.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts