Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out 5.oo am and took cigar minnows and squid. worked both bridges and a point near Ft Mcrae. Was focusing on deep water and structure. very little luck at all. Where are they biting right now? Current was so strong in the pass that we moved on.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,382 Posts
Nighttime, under/around 3-mile or bob sikes bridge. Under/around dock lights. Artificial stick lures and jigs. Live pinfish, peter mullet, cut bait.
Probably catch a lot of specks too.

If you're going to use cigs, fish the deep hole in the halfmoon nearer the pass from pickens pier. 3 to 4oz egg weight with a 4 to 5' 50# mono leader.
Best there at mid fall.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
4,109 Posts
Hmm, then why do they go out the pass in fall and return in the spring?
Flounder do the same thing.
Not All of either do it, but a big majority do.
Hmm, then why do they go out the pass in fall and return in the spring?
Flounder do the same thing.
They don't. The actual spawn for each fish is for a very short period of time. The resident fish on the bay bridges don't go live in the pass for months on end. Some travel to the pass to stage up & spawn in the spring for a few weeks, sure, but they don't just pack up & move there for the entirety of fall through spring. They live on the bridges year round.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,382 Posts
Really? Some maybe, but not all of them.
Wonder how it was that we used to catch the fall flounder run off pickens with flounder nets? Caught loads of them heading South, and again when they were heading North in the pass during the spring.

Also caught sheepshead on live shrimp around the same times, again in the pass, bird island side and pickens side in the fall and spring.

Not going to argue with you, so good luck to you on it.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
4,109 Posts
Really? Some maybe, but not all of them.
Wonder how it was that we used to catch the fall flounder run off pickens with flounder nets? Caught loads of them heading South, and again when they were heading North in the pass during the spring.

Also caught sheepshead on live shrimp around the same times, again in the pass, bird island side and pickens side in the fall and spring.

Not going to argue with you, so good luck to you on it.
There is such thing as both migratory AND resident fish. 😉 Plenty of migratory sheeps that don't spend the entire year here spawn in the pass. All it would take is one trip with me on the bay bridges during any of the months that most people believe they all leave the bridges to see that that's not the case at all.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,382 Posts
There is such thing as both migratory AND resident fish. 😉 Plenty of migratory sheeps that don't spend the entire year here spawn in the pass. All it would take is one trip with me on the bay bridges during any of the months that most people believe they all leave the bridges to see that that's not the case at all.
I guess you missed this:

Some maybe, but not all of them.
Have a good day ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts