Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fishing partner and I set out at daylight saturday morning to try a new area in the sound and look for some redfish on his new boat purchase (16 1/2 foot Smitty Skiff). The wind was blowing pretty good out of the SW so it made things interesting, butJimmy's boat handled it great. We fished the south side of the sound first on areal skinny flat. Jimmy fished top water and had pretty steady action all morning. It was fun to watch fish pop his top water plug out of the water and then come back and eat it again. He got a good size trout in the 22" range first thing andmissed a few other good sized fish. Then a nice wake showed up behind his plug. Ended up hitting it twice and got it the second time. 23" redfish on top water. Awesome thing to watch.

(biggest trout, topwater)

(top water red)

We caught a few more little trout, but nothing spectacular. Decided to find a more productive area. Got to the next location. First cast was a trout. My third cast produced another 23" redfish. Over the next 30 minutes we ended up catching 2 more reds (one 17" and one 22")and 5 more trout.

(first of the three)

Decided to try and find someother productive areas.We took off to try and find another productive flat. No more reds for the day, but ended up catching another 15 to 20 trout. About one keeper size fish for every 5 fish caught. Definately had to sort through the smaller fish.

Fish were caught on a variety of different baits. Topwater, jerk baits, popping corks, and jigs of all different colors and types. Color changed throughout the day with the weather changing from overcast to sunny.

I'm trying to get the picks off my phone. Hopefully I'll have then on here later.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks Shweppe for posting the report. That about summed it up. The sound's flats right now are trout Heaven! They are everywhere! Top water popers are definitly the way to go early morning. They were blowing those lures out of the water 2 or 3 ft in the air when ever they missed the hooks. Look forward to the :takephoto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts