Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Redfish Massacre Part 2

8K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  emon550 
#1 ·
Hit the beach by the passs again last night with drnelson13 and landed a ton of bull reds, all caught on cut mullet or live spot. No slots or sharks tonight but the bulls kept us plenty satisfied :thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang, man! Im can not wait to get out there tomorrow night. Now im excited, got me jonesin'. Looks like you guys caught some nice bulls. I love rippin them bulls. I will be out there around 7 pm in the pass. Nice report, Cornflake. O*D*W

#6 ·
Thank you! Its a Casio, im not exactly sure which mode. @DMC l honestly I could care less if they allow you to keep a bull because their meat gets nasty when they're that size anyways. I prefer fishing for the sport, meat is just a bonus :thumbsup: But if you want slot reds, there are plenty of them out their too...I got two on Wednesday night

#10 ·
I agree with you about the eating of a bull red,but one 28in to 30in is not a bull. Also if there were a lot of them out there the amount you could keep would be more than two. I also enjoy fishing but I also enjoying eating them. Heck I have a 60 gal tank with oscars in it that I can catch for sport.
By the way they are nice fish and a blast to catch.

#11 ·
Well somebody is taking the sport out of that spot you were at, not to mention the breeders. There were about 3 Bull Red caracass out there this morning that were'nt their last night. I can't wait to see the argument that insues from our friendly forum oceanographers and marine biologist after my comment. Either way its a damn shame they won't be around to fight another day.

#12 ·
Are you insinuating that maybe Cornflake had something to do with that? I dont understand your comment. I hate seeing dead fish. And by carcasses, do you mean they were filleted, or just dead whole fish? Ive been seeing a lot of posts in regards to keeping one over slot fish, or eating bulls. I think someone even said how you tend to only catch over or under fish. I guess thats what makes fishing a SPORT. If we could keep anything we catch, fishing would be no different than picking fruit from a tree or field. Turn on ESPN, and watch the 'National Apple Picking Championship'. Lol. We need Regulations. Without them, we will exterminate every living thing. But, I dont agree with Sector Separation or with NOAA or NMSF in regarding Red Snapper. O*D*W

#13 ·
Well I can promise you that Cornflake and I did not do it. We haven't been out since the night that this thread started. And even if we had been out, we would have never done this. This is a terrible thing to do and whoever the a**hole is that did this needs to find a new sport. There is a reason for the regulations as O*D*W said. If all you're out there is to catch stuff to eat, then you need to stop and pick apples. Who even wants to keep a bull? they taste nasty when they're that big and they get worms real easy. Thanks whoever decided to take fish out of the water and not let anybody else have a great time catching them. Seatmech86, about how big were they too? Were they even close to being slot? It's a little different if they were almost slot and maybe they didn't have a ruler or something, but if they're monsters that's absolutely ridiculous. If they're like 28-30 inches then it's a little more understandable because they may have just been going off of looks or something because they don't have a ruler. Regardless though, they are a disgrace to the sport and definitely need FWC to be all over them. Were they in the water or just on the beach?

#15 ·
No not accusing, just tagged it on becuse I recognized the spot you were at. They were filleted and they were pretty close to being around 35" in length. I like to eat Reds and I want my children and decendants then on to enjoy them so I do believe in moderation and conservation of the species.

This was not to get folks riled up, basicaly just the ugly side of a fishing report.

#17 ·
There are hundreds of people that fish that spot..its a public spot and I fish for sport not food anyways but yeah I went there this afternoon fishing and I saw some of the remains you were talking about, found the side of a redfish on the grass stuff

#25 ·
There are hundreds of people that fish that spot..its a public spot and I fish for sport not food anyways but yeah I went there this afternoon fishing and I saw some of the remains you were talking about, found the side of a redfish on the grass stuff

Looks like they filleted the fish and left the fillets. WTF? So uncalled for. This makes me angry. Hope I never come across someone doing this. I might need some bail money. O*D*W

#18 ·
I have seen many of people in the AM run real quick around the back way and then come back and hurry off....cant wait till the man finally meets them at thier vehicle. BTW I was there tonight caught some decent sail cats and one slot but what is up with all of those flounder guys right up on the shore almost cut my lines...dont they know of the bouys they cant pass and be near the base...
oh well.

#19 ·
YESSS those flounder giggers are a pain!:mad: When me and Cornflake were out there both times, they come right past our lines...like they go right in front of us. My line was stuck in one of their motors for a bit too, and they didn't even acknowledge it. I had to get it out myself while they were moving away. But I got it and caught a bull red without even having to recast!1!:thumbup:

#22 ·
Flounder Gigger

Yes I am a flounder Gigger and also a disabled veteran,first from one Vet to those of you who are Vets,Big Pat on the back and a Thank you for continue to keep our nation safe,and yes I went last night and put over at sherman and came out and saw some fisherman,and women I guess,she lookes like the young lady who I spoke to who was with the man sunday night,I ask if I could help or give a ride meaning they could get on my boat and flounder fish awhile and then bring back,saw the fire last night,went wide and did not come back untill about midnight heading home,maybe alittle later and everyone was gone, but yes I did see some big redfish cleaned and bodys left,but like flounder giggers not all of us are bad,it only takes a few to get a bad rep.,just like the bank fishermen,it only takes a few,this time of year the flounder are heading to the gulf to spawn and this time of year the reds come in the pass,so normally you probally would not see hardly any giggers,I want to beleive that most giggers try to respect each other and not cut boats off and work together but they are a few(ALWAYS).And who knows,not saying it is right but just maybe who ever cleaned the big reds really needed the meat,I know wrong is wrong.The bottom line is we all have to look at ourselves in the Mirrow,Good Luck on your fishing trips and I will try to spread the word about your concerns to other giggers.

#23 ·
I will say I saw a two boats out of three while I was there that did ask if we had lines out and went out of thier way to miss us, but there is always that one. I to frequently hit the water in a boat and I am always curtious to the bank fisherman cause I know thats mostly how I do my fishing, but some people really have no disregard to bank fisherman. That is life and what we will have to deal with.
Yes I am a flounder Gigger and also a disabled veteran,first from one Vet to those of you who are Vets,Big Pat on the back and a Thank you for continue to keep our nation safe,and yes I went last night and put over at sherman and came out and saw some fisherman,and women I guess,she lookes like the young lady who I spoke to who was with the man sunday night,I ask if I could help or give a ride meaning they could get on my boat and flounder fish awhile and then bring back,saw the fire last night,went wide and did not come back untill about midnight heading home,maybe alittle later and everyone was gone, but yes I did see some big redfish cleaned and bodys left,but like flounder giggers not all of us are bad,it only takes a few to get a bad rep.,just like the bank fishermen,it only takes a few,this time of year the flounder are heading to the gulf to spawn and this time of year the reds come in the pass,so normally you probally would not see hardly any giggers,I want to beleive that most giggers try to respect each other and not cut boats off and work together but they are a few(ALWAYS).And who knows,not saying it is right but just maybe who ever cleaned the big reds really needed the meat,I know wrong is wrong.The bottom line is we all have to look at ourselves in the Mirrow,Good Luck on your fishing trips and I will try to spread the word about your concerns to other giggers.

#27 ·
Absolutely Ridiculous. It looks like Cornflake and drnelson had a good last couple weeks fishing. I seen dr's photos he just posted. Were you guys on the Base or out at Pickens? After your report last week (Cornflake) I went out Saturday with a couple buddies and had a blast ripping the Reds. I think we caught around 23 between the 3 of us. It was a great night, and all fish were released unharmed. I am going to try and get out there again this weekend, but i may try shore fishing. It looks like you guys have been real productive this way. Do I need a special pass to get onto Pickens at night? O*D*W

#28 ·
We were on the base, near barrancas beach but yeah to fish on pickens at night I believe you have to have the night owl pass, im not sure how much they cost because Ive only camped out there once before

#29 ·
Cornflake, do you know if I can fish on the base even though im not in the military? I know I can get on the base to go to the lighthouse, or to the museum, but not too sure if i can fish there or not. Any clue? O*D*W

#31 ·
Great pics guys. Thanks for sharing.

#33 ·
Those were very nice Reds, bet that was nothing but fun!! Without being a know it all, I'd like say, I think it would be a good idea to support those fish better for the Hero shots, and also to keep our hand out of the gills, I recently read and article about this, and it is important, just because one of those fish swims away it does not mean that it survived the event. I know most, if not all of us here want those fish to flourish !!

#35 ·
Could you please clarify where the pass is? I am headed into town Friday and can't wait to rip some lips!

The pass we are talking about is in Pensacola. It is between Fort Mccrae and Fort Pickens. O*D*W

#37 ·
Thats what we got most of these reds on was live spot haha, but cut mullet was working well too but we got a lot of sailcats when we were using cut bait so the preferred bait was live spot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.